|Member of Parliament|
for Glasgow North East
8 May 2015 – 8 June 2017
|Preceded by||Willie Bain|
|Succeeded by||Paul Sweeney|
|Member of the Scottish Parliament|
12 February 2009 – 22 March 2011
|Preceded by||Bashir Ahmad|
|Succeeded by||Hanzala Malik|
|Born||8 March 1966|
Greenock, Scotland, UK
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
|Alma mater||Royal Conservatoire of Scotland|
University of Glasgow
Early life and political activityEdit
McLaughlin comes from Greenock but has lived in Glasgow for many years. She attended Port Glasgow High School, graduating in 1984. She then attended the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama and the University of Glasgow.
She contested Glasgow Springburn in the 2007 Scottish Parliament election, finishing second, and had previously contested the Glasgow Rutherglen seat at the 2001 UK General Election (again finishing second) and the similar Glasgow Rutherglen seat at the 2003 Scottish Parliament election. She was SNP campaign co-ordinator when John Mason won the 2008 Glasgow East by-election.
Member of the Scottish Parliament: 2009–2011Edit
McLaughlin became a regional member for Glasgow on 6 February 2009, following the death of Bashir Ahmad, as the next person on the SNP's regional list. Before this she was employed as a researcher for the MSP Bob Doris. She has championed the cause of English language skills in Glasgow school-children. She was a member of the Public Audit and Public Petitions parliamentary committees (2009–2011).
Inverclyde by-election, 2011Edit
She was chosen by party members at a selection meeting in Greenock to contest the Inverclyde constituency in the June 2011 UK Parliament by-election. However, Labour retained the seat on a 5,835 majority which was reduced from 14,416.
Member of the UK Parliament: 2015–2017Edit
McLaughlin was elected to the UK Parliament in the 2015 general election, for the Glasgow North East constituency. She won the seat from the incumbent Labour MP Willie Bain on a swing of 39%, breaking the record for the biggest swing at a general election. She then lost her seat to Labour candidate Paul Sweeney at the snap general election in 2017.
- "Inverclyde by-election: The candidates". STV News. 8 June 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Revealed: Glasgow's urgent need for extra English tuition, The Glaswegian 5 March 2009
- "Previous MSPs: Session 3 (2007–2011): McLaughlin, Anne". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- Inverclyde by-election, 2011, breakingnews.heraldscotland.com; accessed 8 May 2015.
- Profile at SNP website
- Anne McLaughlin on Twitter ;
- Blogs: indygal goes to holyrood indygal in europe indygal
- personal website relating to MSP position in use between 2009–2011
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Glasgow North East