|First Lady of California|
January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Maria Shriver|
|First Lady of Oakland|
June 18, 2005 – January 8, 2007
|Preceded by||Shelia Harris|
|Succeeded by||Cynthia Dellums|
March 15, 1958
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Jerry Brown (2005-present)|
|Alma mater||Stanford University (B.A.)
University of Michigan (J.D.)
Anne Gust Brown (born March 15, 1958) is an American business executive, California's First Lady and the wife of the Governor of California Jerry Brown. Her career positions include executive vice president for the clothing retailer The Gap and a director of the fast food chain, Jack in the Box Inc.
Early life and educationEdit
Gust was born on March 15, 1958, in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. She graduated at the top of her class in high school, and attended Stanford University, where she graduated with a degree in political science. After graduation, she returned to Michigan to attend the University of Michigan Law School.
After becoming a lawyer, Gust joined clothing retailer Gap Inc. in 1991. She was senior vice president and general counsel from 1994 to 1998, executive vice president of human resources, legal and corporate administration from 1998 to 1999, executive vice president of human resources, legal, global compliance and corporate administration of Gap Inc. from 1999 to 2000, chief compliance officer from 1998 to May 13, 2005, and chief administrative officer and executive vice president from March 2000 to May 13, 2005.
Gust met Jerry Brown in 1990 at a party, while he was serving as the chairman of the California Democratic Party. She married him in 2005. Gust has been noted for her political influence on the Governor during his time in office.
- "First Ladies of California". Governors of California. California State Library. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- previousTitle=Jack%20in%20the%20Box%20Inc. "Anne B. Gust" Check
|url=value (help). Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Anne B. Gust". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Young, Samantha (November 10, 2010). "Anne Gust Brown's Key Role In Jerry's Life". Huffington Post. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Morrison, Pat (June 6, 2012). "Anne Gust Brown: Much more than California's first lady". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Anne Gust Brown's influence on governor is showing: Opinion". Los Angeles Daily News. June 6, 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
|First Lady of California
January 3, 2011 – Present