This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Anne Buydens (born Hannelore Marx, 23 April 1919) is an American philanthropist, producer, and occasional actress. She has been a member of the International Best Dressed List since 1970. She has been married to actor Kirk Douglas since 1954.
Buydens in 2000
23 April 1919
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Other names||Anne Douglas|
|Occupation||Philanthropist, producer, actress|
Kirk Douglas (m. 1954)
|Children||Peter Douglas (b. 1955)|
Eric Douglas (1958–2004)
Buydens was born in Hanover, Germany. She was in her early teens when her family emigrated to Belgium, where she became a Belgian citizen. Buydens continued her education there and in Switzerland before moving to Paris, where her fluent knowledge of several languages kept her busy subtitling films.
Buydens married actor Kirk Douglas on 29 May 1954. She had two sons with him: Peter (born 23 November 1955, Los Angeles), and Eric (21 June 1958 – 6 July 2004). Buydens converted to Judaism when she renewed her wedding vows with Douglas in 2004. She became a United States citizen in 1959.
One of Buydens' first forays into philanthropy came on the heels of recovering from breast cancer: With six fellow survivors, Buydens established "Research for Women's Cancers", which raised millions of dollars to help finance a research facility at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Both Kirk Douglas and Buydens were behind the establishment of "Harry's Haven", an Alzheimer's disease unit at the Motion Picture & Television Fund Home in Woodland Hills, which is named after Kirk Douglas's father. The couple is known for their effort to rebuild playgrounds in the Los Angeles Unified School District. The effort began when Anne read in the newspaper that the district's school yards were so decrepit that children were being kept indoors.
- Birth name per naturalization petition (1959), ancestry.com; accessed 19 July 2016. (subscription required)
- Staff (1970). "World's Best Dressed Women". The International Hall of Fame: Women. Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on 12 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Ultimate Style – The Best of the Best Dressed List. 2004. p. 116. ISBN 2 84323 513 8.
- "The Centennial Couple – Kirk Douglas is 102 and his Wife Anne Just Turned 100!" by Nancy Bilyeau, The Vintage News, April 23, 2019
- Douglas, Family. "Douglas History". Douglas History. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "Hollywood gladiator Kirk Douglas has his eyes set on a third barmitzvah | The Jewish Chronicle". Thejc.com. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- Jewish Community Centers and Federation of Tampa: "Jews in the News: Kirk Douglas, Natalie Portman and Max Cassella" by Nate Bloom. December 5, 2016