Annalise Keating is a fictional character in the legal drama series How to Get Away with Murder. Series creator Peter Nowalk is responsible for creating and developing the character, and American actress Viola Davis portrays Keating since the show's inception. Annalise is introduced as a high-profile criminal defense attorney and law professor at Middleton University who maintains social prestige and navigates through a complex personality. The series' main narrative starts when Annalise chooses five of her students to work with her and they get in the middle of a murder case. Throughout the series' course, Annalise is very protective of her students, who become her allies, and is balancing between her personal life and the public scrutiny.
|How to Get Away with Murder character|
Viola Davis as Annalise in the latter half of the first season.
|First appearance||"Pilot" (1.01) |
September 25, 2014
|Created by||Peter Nowalk|
|Portrayed by||Viola Davis|
|Title||Professor Annalise Keating, Esq.|
|Family||Ophelia Harkness (mother)|
Mac Harkness (father)
Celestine Harkness (sister)
Thelonius Harkness (brother)
Clyde (maternal uncle)
Sam Keating Jr. (son)
|Significant other||Nate Lahey|
On February 25, 2014, it was announced that Viola Davis was cast in the show's leading role of Professor Annalise Keating. Annalise is introduced as a self-sufficient and confident woman who seems to have a perfect life and is respected for her professionalism, who people both fear and admire. Throughout the series, she experiences emotional changes and her alcohol addiction increases as she gets involved in multiple crimes with her associates.
This section needs expansion with: story lines for the second, third and fourth seasons. You can help by adding to it. (June 2018)
Annalise was born Anna Mae Harkness, the daughter of Ophelia and Mac, and the sister of Celestine and Thelonious. Her father was absent during much of her life. As a child, she was sexually abused by her uncle Clyde, who was living with them. Ophelia saw Clyde leaving her room and realized what had happened, which led her to take her children away and burn down the house with Clyde inside. At law school, Annalise started a relationship with Eve Rothlo, but they broke up after Annalise fell in love with Sam Keating, who was married and left his wife to marry Annalise.
This season is set chronologically before and after the murder of Sam Keating. In flashbacks, Annalise is introduced as a criminal defense teacher at Middleton University who chooses students Laurel Castillo, Michaela Pratt, Connor Walsh, Asher Millstone, and Wes Gibbins to work exclusively in her law firm, where she is assisted by associates Frank Delfino and Bonnie Winterbottom. The body of Lila Stangard, a student who had been missing for months, is found and eventually it is revealed that Annalise's husband Sam was having an affair with Lila before she died. Lila's best friend Rebecca Sutter gets romantically involved with Gibbins while the local police department is investigating both Sutter and Lila's ex-boyfriend Griffin O'Reilly. When Sam starts suspecting that Rebecca is aware of his affair with Lila, he becomes violent towards her and attacks her one night when she tries to transfer his laptop data to a flash drive. Gibbins, Walsh, Pratt and Castillo appear to help Rebecca and during the showdown Michaela pushes Sam over the banister and onto the floor below. Sam is presumed dead, and the five ponder their next move, only to have Sam leap up and attack Rebecca. Wes clobbers Sam on the head with a trophy, killing him. The five burn his body in the woods under Annalise's complicity, who is aware of the murder and helps them to build up an alibi.
In flash-forwards, Annalise deals with the police investigating Sam's whereabouts, which Annalise makes it looks connected to Lila's death by making their affair public. Sam's sister Hannah Keating arrives in town searching for the truth and accusing Annalise of lying. The remains of Sam are found and Annalise incriminates her lover Nate Lahey as a way to avoid her student's arrest. However, she tries to help him go free by offering him a number of a fellow lawyer. She calls her mother to counsel her throughout this moment, though they have multiple arguments. One night, Wes calls her frightened and asks her to go to his apartment. There, she finds him and the others and learns that they strapped Rebecca with tape and locked her in the bathroom. Subsequently, the group takes Rebecca to the Keatings' household's basement, where they keep her while trying to build a case against her, framing her of killing Lila, a theory that they start believing when multiples proofs show up. When they decide to let her go after not finding anything concrete, Rebecca is gone. Annalise blames Wes for her whereabouts, whilst in fact she and Frank hid the body of Rebecca, who was killed by someone unknown to them.
For her performance as Keating, Viola Davis won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series in 2015. The role also won her two SAG Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series, and one NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series, as well as two Golden Globe nominations for Best Actress.
- "Viola Davis as Annalise Keating". ABC. The Walt Disney Company. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- Abrams, Natalie (25 February 2014). "Viola Davis Lands Lead in ABC Pilot How to Get Away With Murder". Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- Kumari Upadhyaya, Kayla (25 September 2014). "How To Get Away With Murder: "Pilot"". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- Kumari Upadhyaya, Kayla (23 October 2015). "A new lie has consequences for everyone on How To Get Away With Murder". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- "Mama's Here Now". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 1. Episode 13. February 19, 2015. ABC.
- "It's Time to Move On". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 2. Episode 1. September 24, 2015. ABC.
- "Don't Tell Annalise". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 3. Episode 4. October 13, 2016. ABC.
- "Pilot". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 1. Episode 1. September 25, 2014. ABC.
- "Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 1. Episode 9. November 20, 2014. ABC.
- "Hello Raskolnikov". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 1. Episode 10. January 29, 2015. ABC.
- "Best Christmas Ever". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 1. Episode 11. February 5, 2015. ABC.
- "She's a Murderer". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 1. Episode 12. February 12, 2015. ABC.
- "The Night Lila Died". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 1. Episode 14. February 26, 2015. ABC.
- "It's All My Fault". How to Get Away with Murder. Season 1. Episode 15. February 26, 2015. ABC.
- "Emmy Awards 2015: Winners complete list". CNN. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- "SAG Awards: 'Birdman,' 'Modern Family' Land Most Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- Lewis, Hilary (12 September 2015). "SAG Awards: 'Game of Thrones', 'Homeland', 'House of Cards' Lead Noms; 'Empire', 'Inside Amy Schumer' Shut Out; 'Mr. Robot's' Rami Malek Sneaks In". TVLine. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- "'Get On Up,' 'Selma,' 'Dear White People' Score NAACP Image Award Nominations (Full List)". Variety. Retrieved 21 May 2016.