Anna DiMera is a fictional character on the NBC daytime drama, Days of Our Lives. She is the ex-wife of Roman Brady and the biological mother of Carrie Brady. Created by head writers, Margaret DePriest and Sheri Anderson, Anna is portrayed by Leann Hunley. Anna is known for being a member of the powerful, upper class, DiMera family. She is married to Count Antony DiMera. Hunley initially portrayed Anna from 1982–86. After a twenty-one year absence, Hunley reprised the role of Anna beginning on June 20, 2007, and remained on contract with the show until April 2, 2009. She most recently reprised the role again in early-December 2009 on a recurring basis, after taking a leave of absence from the show and ultimately leaving once more on June 15, 2010. In July 2016, it was reported that Hunley was to again reprise the role of Anna in the upcoming new year, with her return date set for January 9, 2017. Hunley departed on February 16, 2017. In December 2017, it was announced that Hunley would return to the role, beginning January 5, 2018. She last appeared February 14, 2018. In May 2019, it was announced that Hunley would reprise the role, beginning in July. For her work as Anna, Hunley received a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in 1986.
|Days of our Lives character|
|Portrayed by||Leann Hunley|
|First appearance||July 30, 1982|
|Other names||Anna Fredericks|
Anna Fredericks first arrives in Salem in 1982, searching for Roman Brady, her husband and the father of her daughter, Carrie. For many years, Roman had been under the impression that Anna had been dead, when in reality she had been sold into slavery. Anna has several red marks on her back, which she claims were from being whipped but were in fact from multiple sclerosis.
Following her divorce from Roman, Anna takes a job as Tony DiMera's secretary, while working in secret for Stefano DiMera who pays Anna $1,000,000 to have Roman fired from the ISA. To achieve this, Anna has Carrie hypnotized to place fake deposit slips in Roman's home. Although Roman is fired from the police force, the ISA are convinced that Roman had been framed.
In 1983, Anna drugs Tony and marries him in Las Vegas, which angers him. Shortly after the wedding, Tony discovers that one of the stipulations of Stefano's will require him to live with Renée DuMonde and David Banning for a year in order to gain his inheritance.
At one point in time, she discovers she is pregnant with Tony DiMera`s child, but suffers a miscarriage later on.
In 1986, Anna leaves Salem after learning Tony had divorced her. She moves to Europe, where she led a successful career.
In 2007, Anna returns to Salem to deliver to the Bradys old DiMera family letters belonging to Tony. She becomes involved in the Brady/DiMera feud, and her romance with Roman is reignited.
Then, it is revealed that Tony is alive, stranded on an island for over 20 years, and that Andre is impersonating Tony. Anna and Tony are reunited, and they remarry May 21, 2008. Tony was thought to be killed after suffering a heart attack, after a struggle with Philip Kiriakis at the pier resulted in a fall.
Thinking Tony had died, Anna left Salem on April 2, 2009. Sydney DiMera is kidnapped in December 2009. On December 18, 2009, Anna is shown on-screen, revealing to the audience as Sydney's kidnapper. In January 2010, it is revealed that EJ actually hired Anna to kidnap Sydney in order to keep her away from Sami. As 2010 progressed, Stefano managed to neutralize her from revealing EJ's part in Sydney's kidnapping, last being seen ambushed in hospital in June 2010. Carrie mentioned Anna in a conversation to Austin during the Christmas season of December 2011. In January 2017, Anna is seen when Marlena bumps into her in Europe, after Anna let loose with a gun at a Prague café, following Marlena's trail in finding Stefano.
- Ken Corday, Albert Alarr and Greg Meng (Executive producers); Dena Higley and Ryan Quan (Head writers) (January 23, 2017). Days of Our Lives. Season 52. Episode 13008. NBC. Days of Our Lives Transcript Monday 1/23/17.
- Dena Higley and Ryan Quan (Head writers); Sonia Blangiardo (Director); David Cherrill (Script writer) (January 23, 2017). Days of Our Lives. Season 52. Episode 13008. NBC.
- "SOAP STAR STATS: Leann Hunley (Anna, DAYS)". SoapOperaDigest.com. Archived from the original on 15 January 2010. Retrieved January 21, 2010.
- "Who's Going". Comings and Goings. Soap Opera Digest. American Media, Inc. 42 (8): 12–13. February 20, 2017.
- Soaps SheKnows (December 21, 2017). "Leann Hunley Brings Anna Back to Days of our Lives in the New Year". Soaps.com. United States: SheKnows Media. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- SOD (May 7, 2019). "Thaao Penghlis And Leann Hunley Back to DAYS!". Soap Opera Digest. United States: American Media, Inc. Odyssey Magazine Publishing Group Inc. Retrieved May 7, 2019.