This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019)
Ann Shoemaker (born Anne Dorothea Shoemaker; January 10, 1891 – September 18, 1978) was an American actress who appeared in 70 films and TV movies between 1928 and 1976. She portrayed Sara Roosevelt, mother of Franklin D. Roosevelt, in both the stage and film versions of Sunrise at Campobello.
Anne Dorothea Shoemaker
January 10, 1891
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Died||September 18, 1978 (aged 87)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Kensico Cemetery|
Valhalla, New York
(m. 1922; died 1956)
Shoemaker's Broadway credits include Half a Sixpence (1965), Sunrise at Campobello (1958), The Living Room (1954), Twilight Walk (1951), Dream Girl (1951), Woman Bites Dog (1946), The Rich Full Life (1945), Proof Thro' the Night (1942), Ah, Wilderness! (1941), Black Sheep (1932), The Silent Witness (1931), The Novice and the Duke (1929), Button, Button (1919), To-Night at 12 (1928), Speak Easy (1927), We All Do (1927), The Noose (1926), and The Great God Brown (1926).
- Chance at Heaven (1933) - Mrs. Harris
- Cross Country Cruise (1934) - Mrs. O'Shaughnessy - Baby's Mother (uncredited)
- Dr. Monica (1934) - Mrs. Hazlitt
- Cheating Cheaters (1934) - Mrs. Grace Palmer
- The Woman in Red (1935) - Cora Furness (uncredited)
- A Dog of Flanders (1935) - Frau Ilse Cogez
- Stranded (1935) - Mrs. Tuthill
- Alice Adams (1935) - Mrs. Adams
- Sins of Man (1936) - Anna Engel
- Shall We Dance (1937) - Matron
- They Won't Forget (1937) - Mrs. Mountford
- Stella Dallas (1937) - Miss Margaret Phillibrown
- The Life of the Party (1937) - Countess Martos
- Romance of the Redwoods (1939) - Mother Manning
- Almost a Gentleman (1939) - Mrs. Thompson (uncredited)
- They All Come Out (1939) - Dr. Ellen Hollis
- Babes in Arms (1939) - Mrs. Barton
- The Farmer's Daughter (1940) - Mrs. Bingham
- Seventeen (1940) - Mary Baxter
- The Marines Fly High (1940) - Mrs. Hill
- Curtain Call (1940) - Mrs. Middleton
- An Angel from Texas (1940) - Addie Lou Coleman
- My Favorite Wife (1940) - Ma - Nick's Mother
- Girl from Avenue A (1940) - Mrs. Maddox
- Strike Up the Band (1940) - Mrs. Connors
- Ellery Queen, Master Detective (1940) - Lydia Braun
- Scattergood Pulls the Strings (1941) - Mrs. Downs
- You'll Never Get Rich (1941) - Mrs. Barton
- Above Suspicion (1943) - Aunt Ellen
- What a Woman (1943) - Senator's Wife (uncredited)
- Man from Frisco (1944) - Martha Kennedy
- Mr. Winkle Goes to War (1944) - Martha Pettigrew, Jack's Mother (uncredited)
- Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944) - Mrs. Parker
- What a Blonde (1945) - Mrs. DaFoe
- Conflict (1945) - Nora Grant
- Magic Town (1947) - Ma Peterman
- Sitting Pretty (1948) - Mrs. Ashcroft (uncredited)
- The Return of the Whistler (1948) - Mrs. Barkley
- Wallflower (1948) - Mrs. Dixie James
- A Woman's Secret (1949) - Mrs. Matthews
- Shockproof (1949) - Dr. Daniels (uncredited)
- The Reckless Moment (1949) - Mrs. Catherine Feller (uncredited)
- House by the River (1950) - Mrs. Ambrose
- Sunrise at Campobello (1960) - Sara Delano Roosevelt
- The Fortune Cookie (1966) - Sister Veronica
- Shoemaker, Benjamin H. (1975). Shoemaker Pioneers: The Early Genealogy and History of the Colonial Shoemaker Families Who Came to America Before the Revolution. pp. 91.
- "Actress Joins Cast". Simpson's Leader-Times. Pennsylvania, Kittanning. United Press International. June 15, 1960. p. 19. Retrieved August 1, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- Fisher, James; Londré, Felicia Hardison (2017). Historical Dictionary of American Theater: Modernism. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 628. ISBN 9781538107867. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Ann Shoemaker". Internet Broadway Database. The Broadway League. Archived from the original on 21 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ann Shoemaker.|