This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Anker is a brand of Anker Innovations (formerly Oceanwing)
Looking to serve the market for high-quality, affordable replacement laptop batteries, Steven Yang started Anker in 2011 after working as senior software engineer for Google. Though he lived in California at the time, he moved to Shenzhen, China, to be closer to the supply chain. The development of operations was helped by the hiring of Dongping Zhao, then Google's head of sales in China, in early 2012.
Anker's first products were focused on replacement laptop batteries. In 2012, it began shifting focus on devices for charging mobile phones. Anker charging devices use its PowerIQ technology, which detects the connected device and automatically optimizes the current delivered. PowerIQ uses a chip to determine which devices are connected to deliver the highest power flow which the device allows and as a result reducing the amount of time for a device to reach full charge.
Moving outside of its core competency, Anker launched Eufy, a smart home appliance brand in September 2016, featuring its flagship product, the RoboVac 11.
In January 2018, Anker launched two products including a portable charger and an Alexa-enabled Bluetooth vehicle accessory. In April 2018, Eufy announced an Indiegogo campaign for EverCam, a wireless security camera.
In 2014, an Indiegogo campaign to promote a set of magnetic accessories called Zolo was launched. Due to prolonged manufacturing challenges the project was set on hold and 1863 backers were offered a 200% refund.
In 2016, a batch of Anker USB-C charging cables suffered a manufacturing defect that could potentially cause damage to connected hardware, leading to a recall.
- Chokkattu, Julian (2018-01-08). "Anker Innovations' six key sub-brands focus on smart home, batteries, and more". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- Staff, Nick (2017-05-22). "How Anker is beating Apple and Samsung at their own accessory game". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- "How a Chinese startup became a top seller on Amazon.com". internetretailer.com. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- Kamps, Haje Jan. "Anker launches sister brand for home automation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-05-24.
- "Anker Unwraps Two New Travel-Oriented Accessories - CES 2018 | Androidheadlines.com". AndroidHeadlines.com |. 2018-01-08. Retrieved 2018-06-07.
- Statt, Nick (2018-04-16). "Anker's EverCam is a truly wireless smart security camera with 365 days of battery life". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "Zolo: A Magnetic Case, Battery & Cable System | Indiegogo". indiegogo.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Ankers away! USB-C cables recalled over freakin' fried phone fears". TheRegister.com. Retrieved 2017-02-01.