Anker is a technology company with offices in Seattle and Shenzhen that designs, develops, and sells consumer electronics. It was founded by Steven Yang in 2011 after leaving his post at Google. The company is primarily known for its powerbanks and charging cables. Anker sells directly to the western market via regional web shops and Amazon Marketplace. Anker was named after the German word for anchor.
Looking to serve the market for high-quality, affordable replacement laptop batteries, Steven Yang started Anker in 2011 after working as senior software engineer for Google. Though he lived in California at the time, he moved to Shenzhen, China, to be closer to the supply chain. The development of operations was helped by the hiring of Dongping Zhao, then Google's head of sales in China, in early 2012.
Anker's first products were focused on replacement laptop batteries. In 2012, it began shifting focus on devices for charging mobile phones. Anker charging devices use its PowerIQ technology, which detects the connected device and automatically optimizes the current delivered. PowerIQ uses a chip to determine which devices are connected to deliver the highest power flow which the device allows and as a result reducing the amount of time for a device to reach full charge.
Moving outside of its core competency, Anker launched Eufy, a smart home appliance brand, in September 2016, featuring its flagship product, the RoboVac 11.
In 2014, an Indiegogo campaign to promote a set of magnetic accessories called Zolo was launched. Due to prolonged manufacturing challenges the project was set on hold and 1863 backers were offered a 200% refund.
In 2016, a batch of Anker USB-C charging cables suffered a manufacturing defect that could potentially cause damage to connected hardware, leading to a recall.
- "关于海翼 | 湖南海翼电子商务股份有限公司". oceanwing.com.cn. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Staff, Nick (2017-05-22). "How Anker is beating Apple and Samsung at their own accessory game". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-05-22.
- "How a Chinese startup became a top seller on Amazon.com". internetretailer.com. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- Kamps, Haje Jan. "Anker launches sister brand for home automation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-05-24.
- "Zolo: A Magnetic Case, Battery & Cable System | Indiegogo". indiegogo.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Ankers away! USB-C cables recalled over freakin' fried phone fears". TheRegister.com. Retrieved 2017-02-01.