Anil Ganguly (26 January 1933 – 15 January 2016) was an Indian film director and screenwriter, who worked in Hindi cinema from 1970s to the 1990s. He is best known for Jaya Bhaduri starrer, Kora Kagaz (1974) and the Rakhee starrerTapasya (1975), both of which won the National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment. His other noted film was Anil Kapoor and Amrita Singh starrer Saaheb (1985). Later in his career, he made several action films, mostly with Mithun Chakraborty.
|Born||January 26, 1933|
|Died||January 15, 2016 (aged 82)|
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Years active||1970 - 90|
|Relatives||Rupali Ganguly (daughter)|
Ganguly started his career making literary adaptations with strong female roles and themes of marital discord. For his second film Kora Kagaz his adapted Ashutosh Mukhopadhyay's story "Saat Paake Bandha", previously adapted into a Bengali film by the same name. Films female lead Jaya Bhaduri won Filmfare Best Actress Award for her role. His next film, Tapasya (1975) with Raakhee as lead was produced by Rajshri Productions, and was based on story by Ashapurna Devi. Raakhee won the Filmfare Best Actress Award for her role He later adapted Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's novel Parineeta as Sankoch (1976), with Sulakshana Pandit and Jeetendra as leads. Humkadam again starring Raakhee, and made in 1980, was an adaptation of Satyajit Ray's Mahanagar.
His last major film was Anil Kapoor and Amrita Singh starrer Saaheb (1985). Later in his career, he shifted to making action and thriller films with Mithun Chakraborty and a few Bengali films. His last directorial venture was Bengali film Kiye Para Kiye Najara (1998) with Tapas Paul, and Debashree Roy. He died on 15 January 2016 at the age of 82.
- Half Ticket (1962) Assistant director
- Bheegi Raat (1965) Assistant director
- Mera Yaar Mera Dushman (1987)
- Kora Kagaz (1974)
- Tapasya (1975)
- Sankoch (1976)
- Trishna (1978)
- Khandaan (1979)
- Agreement (1980)
- Neeyat (1980)
- Aanchal (1980)
- Humkadam (1980)
- Karwat (1982)
- Kaun? Kaisey? (1983)
- Saheb (1985)
- Pyar Ke Kabil (1987)
- Sadak Chhap (1987)
- Balidan (Bolidan) (1990, Bengali)
- Dushman Devta (1991)
- Dil Ki Baazi (1993)
- Angaara (1996)
- Kiye Para Kiye Nijara (1998, Odia)
- Gulazar; Nihalani, Govind; Chatterjee, Saibal (2003). Encyclopaedia of Hindi Cinema. Popular Prakashan. p. 431. ISBN 978-81-7991-066-5.
- Khalid Mohammed (16 February 2013). "The forgotten director of Bengal". Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 19 April 2014. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "The different faces of Parineeta". Rediff.com movies. 8 June 2005. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "Filmmaker Anil Ganguly no more". The Indian Express. 15 January 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "22nd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "23rd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 4 October 2011.