Angus Roberts (born 17 December 1990) is a professional Australian rugby union player for the Melbourne Rebels. His preferred positions are fullback and flyhalf.
Roberts in 2016
|Birth name||Angus Roberts|
|Date of birth||17 December 1990|
|Place of birth||New South Wales, Australia|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||92 kg (14 st 7 lb)|
|School||Saint Ignatius' College, Riverview|
|University||University of Technology, Sydney|
|Rugby union career|
He began playing rugby as a junior with the Gunnedah Red Devils. In 2012 he played for Sydney University in the Shute Shield. Roberts resided at St John's College from 2010 to 2012, playing rugby for the College in the intercollegiate Rawson Cup throughout this period.
The Sydney University Rugby Club 2012 season preview described him thus: "His strengths are his composure, speed of foot and long kicking game. Gus is quite a big 10 and has only been playing the position for a year now, to which he has already caught the eye of the Super Franchises. Gus has some silky skills and a great deal of potential, which he has worked hard on during the off season to develop."
He scored a last minute try and conversion that won the Sydney University the 2012 Shute Shield.
Roberts commenced in a two-year contract with the Melbourne Rebels in 2013. In March 2013, the Rebels named Roberts at fullback for the Round 4 battle with the Reds in Melbourne. This was to be his Super Rugby and Rebels debut.
For his gap year,[when?] Roberts travelled to Somerset in England. He worked as an assistant at Sexey's School and played rugby for Castle Cary RFC. In 2012 Roberts was in his third year of studying Exercise Management at The University of Technology Sydney.
- "Players to watch in 2012". Preview Magazine. Sydney University Football Club. 2012. Retrieved 3 December 2012.[permanent dead link] p 17
- Carryannis, Michael (15 September 2012). "Students snatch late win". Canberra Times. Fairfax. Retrieved 3 December 2012.
- Roberts, Angus (3 December 2012). Introducing Angus Roberts (Youtube Clip uploaded by Melbourne Rebels). Parkville, Victoria: Melbourne Rebels.
- Fairbairn, Pete (19 November 2012). "Roberts relishing rebels culture" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. Retrieved 3 December 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Carryannis, Michael (15 September 2012). "Uni pulls off great escape". The Newcastle Herald. Fairfax. Retrieved 3 December 2012.
- Morton, Jim (28 January 2013). "Rookie to wear No.10 jersey for Rebels". Rugby Heaven. Fairfax. AAP. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "Local Victorian Rugby on the Rise, although the Force too strong" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. 21 February 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2013.[permanent dead link]
- Rebels Media Unit (5 March 2013). "James O'Connor to Captain against the Reds at flyhalf" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. Retrieved 5 March 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "O'Connor set to spark Rebel". Rugby 365. Rugby 365. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Paxinos, Stathi (6 March 2013). "Rebels coach puts raps on first-gamer Roberts". Rugby Heaven. Fairfax. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Angus Roberts.|