Anglican Diocese of North West Australia
The Anglican Diocese of North West Australia is a diocese of the Anglican Church of Australia. The diocese covering 2 million km² of Western Australia, north of Perth, is geographically the largest Anglican diocese in Australia and the largest land-based diocese in the world. The population of the area of about 150,000 people.
Diocese of North West Australia
Coat of arms
|Ecclesiastical province||Western Australia|
|Metropolitan||Archbishop of Perth|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Geraldton|
|Parent church||Anglican Church of Australia|
|Anglican Diocese of North West Australia|
The Diocese of Perth was established in 1857, but the Diocese of Northern Australia (which became known by the present name in 1961) was not brought into existence until 1910. Broome was the original the seat of the Diocese, from 1910 to 1965, with the Church of the Annunciation the pro-cathedral.
The cathedral building was built in 1964 to a design by architects McDonald and Whitaker. The brick modernist style building has a star shaped footprint and is said to resemble Coventry Cathedral in England. Internally the cathedral has extensive stained glass and an organ built by Allen Organ Company.
List of bishopsEdit
- 1910–1927: Gerard Trower
- 1928–1965: John Frewer
- 1965–1981: Howell Witt
- 1981–1992: Ged Muston
- 1992–2003: Tony Nichols
- 2004–2011: David Mulready
- 2012–present: Gary Nelson
Due to the fluid nature of our region, we’re proud to be a ‘missionary’ diocese. We journey with everyone who comes and goes as part of work or tourism, and see a congregation turnover rate of around 100% every two years. Our region is dependent on support by individuals, parishes, dioceses, and Christian organisations across Australia who are committed to gospel ministry in small, remote, and isolated towns and communities in North West Australia.
The Diocese of North West Australia was the second in the Anglican Church of Australia, after the Anglican Diocese of Sydney, to recognize the Anglican Church in North America as a "member church of the Anglican Communion, in full communion with Diocese of North West Australia", according to a motion passed in October 2014.
- Diocese of Northwest Australia
- Angela Grutzner, The Australian Anglican Directory (Melbourne: Publishing Solutions, 2009): 13.
- Diocese of North West Australia Act 1961
- Bruce Kaye, A Church without Walls: being Anglican in Australia (Melbourne: Harper Collins, 1995): 43.
- "Anglican Church of the Annunciation" (PDF). Municipal Inventory of Heritage Places 2019. Shire of Broome. pp. 58–59. Archived from the original on 21 January 2020. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- Downes, Joan, ‘‘The Cathedral Church of the Holy Cross, Geraldton, Western Australia.’’
- Tourism Western Australia, Cathedral of The Holy Cross Archived 3 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- Australian Anglican Historical Images Archived 28 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- Allen’s Organs in WA
- Diocese of NW Australia recognizes ACNA as "a member church of the Anglican Communion", Anglican Church League Website, 5 October 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anglican Diocese of North West Australia.|