Angela Kang (born March 23, 1976) is an American television writer currently serving as showrunner on the AMC horror drama series The Walking Dead. She will continue as showrunner for the upcoming season 11.
Kang at the 2018 San Diego Comic-Con
|Born||March 23, 1976|
Irvine, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Television writer |
The Walking Dead
Kang was born and raised in Irvine, California, to immigrant working-class parents of Korean descent. She received a Bachelor of Arts in English and Theater from Occidental College in Los Angeles, California in 1998, after which she had several short stories and poems published, and also wrote a number of plays. She eventually returned to school where she received a Master of Fine Arts degree in screenwriting from the University of Southern California where she was the recipient of the Annenberg Graduation Fellowship.
Her first job in the television industry came when she worked as an intern for the ABC medical drama series Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice. Her first job as a staff writer was for the unaired NBC post-apocalyptic series Day One, which she got coming out of graduate school. Shortly thereafter, she was hired as a staff writer on the short-lived FX series Terriers, of which she wrote two episodes. In 2011, she joined the writing staff of the acclaimed AMC horror drama series The Walking Dead as a story editor for season two. She was promoted to producer for season three (2012–2013), co-executive producer for season five (2014–2015), and showrunner for the ninth season in 2018.
In addition to working on The Walking Dead and other shows, Kang also starred on the Talking Dead, a talk show talking about The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead (2011–2019). She also wrote the short films Slow Pitch in Relief (2009) and Harlequin (2004).
- Staff Writer – 12 Episodes (2010)
- Writer – 2 Episodes (2010)
The Walking DeadEdit
- Producer – 32 Episodes (2012–2014)
- Co-Executive Producer – 64 Episodes (2014–2018)
- Executive Producer – 16 Episodes (2018–2019)
- Writer – 26 Episodes (2011–2019)
- Story Editor – 13 Episodes (2011–2012)
- Story by – 1 Episode (2017)
- Teleplay by – 1 Episode (2017)
The Walking Dead episodesEdit
- McIntire, George (Fall 2013). "Day of the Dead". Occidental College Magazine. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- "Steven Yeun Chats With Two 'Walking Dead' Staffers". KoreAm. May 21, 2013. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- Jackal (October 22, 2010). "EXCLUSIVE: Angela Kang discusses "Ring-a-Ding-Ding"". Terriers TV. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- "Angela Kang – Showrunner / Executive Producer / Writer". AMC. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- "Angela Kang". IMDb. Retrieved May 8, 2019.