Andy Pratt (singer-songwriter)(Redirected from Andy Pratt (musician))
Andy Pratt (born January 25, 1947) is an American rock singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. In the 1970s, he made a number of experimental records, of which "Avenging Annie" was a commercial hit. Avenging Annie was first heard as a bootleg tape that circulated in SE New England about the summer of 1969 when there was no commercial edition available. Because of this, Pratt recorded the song commercially a few years later. The tempo and flavor changed and may have accounted for the disappointing sales, as fans did not get the recording they might have wanted.
Pratt performing live at the Greenbelt festival in 2006
January 25, 1947 |
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
In 1973 Pratt signed with Columbia Records. He released Andy Pratt in 1973, which had modest commercial success. In 1973 he released the single "Avenging Annie", which peaked at number 78 on the Billboard Hot 100, spending ten weeks on the chart. The song was re-recorded by The Who singer Roger Daltrey for his album One of the Boys in 1977. Pratt's original version of the single became the B side of Bruce Springsteen's 'Blinded by the Light' on a CBS promotional disc, and was used on the soundtrack to the film Velvet Goldmine in 1998.
In 1982 Pratt released the mini album Fun in the First World produced by Leroy Radcliffe and released on Boston's Enzone Records. The mini album was later included on The Age of Goodbye. Although Pratt's religious tendencies negatively affected some of his mainstream work, he used his vision here to produce a successful science-fiction epic in the title track.
- Records Are Like Life (Polydor Records, 1969, reissued 1971)
- Andy Pratt (Columbia Records, 1973)
- Resolution (Nemperor Records, distributed by Atlantic Records, 1976)
- Shiver in the Night (Nemperor, 1977)
- Motives (Nemperor, distributed by Epic Records, 1979)
- Fun in the First World (Enzone Records, 1982)
- Not Just for Dancing (Lamborghini Records, 1983)
- Perfect Therapy (GMI, 1986)
- Life (GMI, 1988)
- One Body (GMI, 1991)
- Fire of Love (GMI, 1993)
- Resolution: The Andy Pratt Collection (Razor & Tie Records, compilation, 1996)
- Another World (Highway Records, 1998)
- Heaven and Earth (itsaboutmusic.com, 2003)
- I'm All Right (itsaboutmusic.com, 2003)
- Cover Me (itsaboutmusic.com, February 2003)
- New Resolutions (itsaboutmusic.com, August 2003)
- Andy Pratt Is Back (itsaboutmusic.com, 2003)
- Andy Pratt Solo (itsaboutmusic.com, 2003)
- Live : Recorded Live at The Village Underground, NYC 3/11/03 (itsaboutmusic.com, 2003)
- Age of Goodbye (Fun in the First World + Not Just for Dancing +2, CoraZong Records, 2004)
- Runaway Heart (itsaboutmusic.com, 2006)
- Masters of War (itsaboutmusic.com, 2008)
- Andy Pratt Loves You (Forward motion records, 2010)
- Life and Death (Forward motion records, 2011)
- Chasing Shadows (Forward motion records, 2013)
- The Wolf (independent, 2013)
- The New Normal? (Forward motion records, 2014)
- Do You Remember Me? (Continental Record Services, 2015)
- Ofjord, Michael. "Andy Pratt | Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "The Hot 100 : Jun 30, 1973 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard. June 30, 1973. Retrieved 2013-08-07.