Andrew Orlando Valmon (born January 1, 1965) is an American former 400 meters runner.
|Full name||Andrew Orlando Valmon|
|Born||January 1, 1965 (age 54)|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
Valmon was born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised in Manchester Township, New Jersey, where he attended Manchester Township High School. He attended college at Seton Hall University and graduated in 1987 with a degree in communications.
Valmon won the silver medal at the World Indoor Athletics Championships 1991 in Seville. In 1992 he won a gold medal with the American 4 × 400 m relay team at the Olympic Games in Barcelona. The same year, Valmon set his personal best of 44.28 seconds. He is now the track & field head coach at the University of Maryland, and coaches a summer camp at the university. He is married to Meredith Rainey, who is also an Olympic runner. Valmon is a member of the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity.
Four years as track coach at Georgetown University. 1999 - 2003
University of Maryland Track and FieldEdit
Eleventh season as track coach. During his tenure as head coach, 50+ student-athletes have earned All-American honors for their athletic performances. Maryland track and field athletes consistently rank among the top of their peers with the cross country program earning the school's award for the highest team GPA three years in a row, in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
2012 London OlympicsEdit
Valmon named United States Head Track and Field coach on February 11, 2011.
- Denman, Elliott. "New Jersey's Andrew Valmon named Olympic coach", MileSplitNy. February 18, 2011. Accessed July 27, 2016. "The 20-something young man was Andrew Valmon, the graduate of Manchester Township High School, just a few miles east of Lakehurst, and of South Orange, NJ’s Seton Hall University, who’d run a sizzling 4x400 relay leadoff leg in the semifinals at Seoul (thus earning a gold when USA took the final.)"
- "Andrew Valmon". University of Maryland. Archived from the original on October 27, 2011. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- Andrew Valmon at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com
- Andrew Valmon at the International Olympic Committee
- "Maryland's Andrew Valmon named U.S. track and field head coach for 2012 London Olympics". Washington Post. February 18, 2011.