Early life edit
Born at Stamford, Lincolnshire, to Peter Norman Lycett Lycett and Joan Mary Duncan (née Day), Lycett spent some of his childhood in Tanganyika, where his father established a preparatory school, The Southern Highlands School. Peter Lycett's mother was of the Burns-Lindow family of Ingwell and Ehen Hall, Cumbria. Lycett was educated at Charterhouse School and studied history at Christ Church, Oxford.
Lycett worked for a while for The Times as a correspondent in Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. He has written several well-received biographies and he is best known for his biography of Ian Fleming, Ian Fleming: The Man Behind James Bond.
He lives and writes in London.
- Blundy, David & Andrew Lycett (1987). Qaddafi and the Libyan Revolution. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson.
- — & — (1988). Qaddafi and the Libyan Revolution (New revised ed.). Corgi.
- Ian Fleming (W&N, 1995); US title, Ian Fleming: The man behind James Bond (Turner Publishing, 1995)
- From Diamond Sculls to Golden Handcuffs: A history of Rowe & Pitman (London: Robert Hale, 1999) – stockbrokers established by George Duncan Rowe and Frederick I. Pitman
- Rudyard Kipling (W&N, 1999)
- Barrack-Room Ballads, Rudyard Kipling (2001?) – an edition of Barrack-Room Ballads and other verses (1892) annotated by Lycett
- Dylan Thomas: A new life (W&N, 2003)
- Conan Doyle: The man who created Sherlock Holmes (W&N, 2007); US title, The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The life and times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Free Press, 2007)
- Kipling Abroad: Traffics and discoveries from Burma to Brazil, Rudyard Kipling, edited by Lycett (I.B. Tauris, 2010)
- Wilkie Collins: A life of sensation (Hutchinson & Co., 2013)
Book reviews edit
|Year||Review article||Work(s) reviewed|
|2013||Lycett, Andrew (8 February 2013). "Bonds Books". Reviews. The Times Literary Supplement.||Glibert, Jon (2012). Ian Fleming : The Bibliography. London: Queen Anne Press.||2017||Lycett, Andrew (September 2017). "Stripping down the buttoned up". Reviews. History Today. 67 (9): 96.||Hughes, Kathryn. Victorians undone : tales of the flesh in the age of decorum. Fourth Estate.|
- List of Members of the University of Oxford, University of Oxford, 1972, p. 394
- "Lycett, Andrew 1948– | Encyclopedia.com". www.encyclopedia.com.
- "biographical - Andrew Lycett". www.andrewlycett.co.uk.
- "Andrew Lycett - The Old Man & the Signorina". Literary Review.
- The Public and Preparatory Schools Year Book, Year Book Press Ltd, 1954, p. 729
- DC, Author georgia (4 February 2017). "Interview | Andrew Lycett, author".
|first=has generic name (help)
- "Andrew Lycett - Hard on Their Heels". Literary Review.
- The Old Radleian 2017, Radleian Society, Radley School, p. 62
- Burke's Family Index, ed. Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd, Burke's Peerage Ltd, 1976, p. 93
- "Royal Society of Literature All Fellows". Royal Society of Literature (RSL). Archived from the original on 5 March 2010. Retrieved 9 August 2010. Out of date.
- "Current RSL Fellows" Archived October 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. RSL. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "Kipling abroad: traffics and discoveries from Burma to Brazil"[permanent dead link]. Library of Congress Catalog Record (LCC). Retrieved 9 April 2014. With linked Contributor biographical information and Publisher description.