August 17, 1958
|The Big Book Of|
|Awards||Eisner Award – Best Anthology|
1995 The Big Book of Urban Legends
Andy Helfer joined DC Comics in 1981 and assisted Joe Orlando in the special projects department. He became editor of the Justice League of America title with issue #245 (December 1985) and oversaw the title's revamp into Justice League International in 1987 by Keith Giffen, J. M. DeMatteis, and Kevin Maguire. Helfer edited The Man of Steel limited series by John Byrne and the subsequent relaunch of the Superman titles. As a writer, Helfer collaborated with artist José Luis García-López on a Deadman limited series in 1986 and with artist Bill Sienkiewicz on an ongoing series for The Shadow in the following year. Following Sienkiewicz's departure from The Shadow, Kyle Baker became the artist on the series and he and Helfer also produced a two-issue Justice, Inc. series. The Helfer-Baker run on The Shadow was cancelled in 1989 allegedly due to objections by Condé Nast, the character's owner, to the tone of the series. Helfer wrote for the Superboy television series from 1988 to 1990. As the editor of Paradox Press, Helfer oversaw the development of Max Allan Collins' series Road to Perdition and John Wagner's A History of Violence, both of which became successful films. In 2006, Helfer collaborated with artist Randy DuBurke on Malcolm X: A Graphic Biography (2006) which has been recommended as part of a "Suggested Core List of Graphic Novel Titles for High School Students". He wrote the Presidential Material: John McCain one-shot biographical comic book for IDW Publishing in 2008.
- 1997: Nominated for "Best Editor" Eisner Award, for Gon and The Big Book Of Little Criminals
- 9-11: The World's Finest Comic Book Writers & Artists Tell Stories to Remember, Volume Two (2002)
- Atari Force #8, 12, 15–17, 20 (1984–1985)
- Batman Annual #14 (1990)
- Batman Black and White #3 (1996)
- The Batman Chronicles #9 (1997)
- Batman: Journey Into Knight #1–12 (2005–2006)
- Deadman vol. 2 #1–4 (1986)
- Fast Forward #1 (1992)
- Heroes Against Hunger #1 (1986)
- The Hidden Killer #1 (1998)
- Judge Dredd #1–12 (1994–1995)
- Justice, Inc. vol. 2 #1–2 (1989)
- Legends of the DC Universe 80-Page Giant #1 (Hawkman) (1998)
- Robotech Defenders #1–2 (1985)
- Secret Origins vol. 2 #15 (Deadman), #18 (Creeper), #40 (Detective Chimp) (1987–1989)
- The Shadow vol. 3 #1–19, Annual #1–2 (1987–1989)
- Solo #6 (2005)
- Supergirl Giveaway comic from Honda and the United States Department of Transportation about auto safety and seat belts (1984)
- Swamp Thing vol. 2 #101 (1990)
- The Unexpected #219 (1982)
Farrar, Straus, and GirouxEdit
- Malcolm X: A Graphic Biography #1 (2006)
- Presidential Material: John McCain #1 (2008)
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Iola, Wisconsin. Archived from the original on February 18, 2011. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- Mangels, Andy (July 2012). "A Heroine History of the Wonder Woman Foundation". Back Issue!. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing (57): 51.
- Andy Helfer (editor) at the Grand Comics Database
- Andy Helfer at the Grand Comics Database
- Schweier, Philip (July 2016). "Shedding Light on The Shadow". Back Issue!. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing (89): 16–17.
- Allen, Todd (January 13, 2012). "He's Back and God Help the Guilty – Dynamite Reissues The Shadow by Howard Chaykin". Comicsbeat.com. Archived from the original on March 15, 2012. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
[T]he Helfer & company sequel which was abruptly cancelled on a cliffhanger as Condé Nast disliked the satirical tone Helfer had taken with his version.
- Bails, Jerry (n.d.). "Helfer, Andy". Who's Who of American Comic Books 1928-1999. Archived from the original on May 10, 2007.
- Aldama, Frederick Luis (2011). Multicultural Comics: From Zap to Blue Beetle. Austin, Texas: University of Texas Press. p. 12. ISBN 978-0292737433.
- Gavigan, Karen W.; Tomasevich, Mindy (2011). Connecting Comics to Curriculum: Strategies for Grades 6-12. Santa Barbara, California: Libraries Unlimited. p. 156. ISBN 978-1598847680.
- Elsworth, Catherine (October 9, 2008). "John McCain and Barack Obama become comic book heroes". The Daily Telegraph. London, United Kingdom. Archived from the original on November 13, 2012. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- "1991 Haxtur Awards". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Archived from the original on December 29, 2013.
- "1995 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Archived from the original on October 10, 2014.
- "1997 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Archived from the original on July 25, 2014.
- Andy Helfer at the Comic Book DB (archived from the original)
- Andy Helfer at Mike's Amazing World of Comics
| Justice League of America editor
| Action Comics editor
| Adventures of Superman editor
| Superman vol. 2 editor
| Justice League International editor
| Justice League Europe editor
| Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight editor