Andrew Frank Schoeppel(Redirected from Andrew F. Schoeppel)
Andrew Frank Schoeppel (November 23, 1894 – January 21, 1962) was an American politician and a member of the Republican Party. He was the 29th Governor of Kansas from 1943 to 1947 and a U.S. Senator from 1949 until his death. He was born in 1894 in Claflin, Kansas and died in 1962 of abdominal cancer at the National Naval Medical Center at Bethesda, Maryland.
|Andrew Frank Schoeppel|
|United States Senator
January 3, 1949 – January 21, 1962
|Preceded by||Arthur Capper|
|Succeeded by||James B. Pearson|
|29th Governor of Kansas|
January 11, 1943 – January 13, 1947
|Lieutenant||Jess C. Denious|
|Preceded by||Payne Ratner|
|Succeeded by||Frank Carlson|
|Born||November 23, 1894
Barton County, Kansas, U.S.
|Died||January 21, 1962 (aged 67)
Bethesda, Maryland, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Kansas
University of Nebraska
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Battles/wars||World War I|
Schoeppel's early political life began as county attorney in Ness County, Kansas and was one of the early local officials for Ness City. Later he was elected mayor of Ness City and also served as chairman of the Kansas Corporation Commission.
Schoeppel played college football from 1920 to 1922 while attending the University of Nebraska and made "honorable mention" on one of Walter Camp's first All-America football teams. He served as the head football coach at Fort Hays State University for one season, in 1929, compiling a record of 2–5. Schoeppel filled in as head coach while his predecessor, William D. Weidein, was on sabbatical. Weidein did not return after his one-year sabbatical. After Schoeppel completed his one year as head coach, the school's program was taken over by W. C. "Jack" Riley.
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Find-A-Grave profile for Frank Schoeppel
- Kansas Heritage-Ness County Archived May 16, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Kansas Governor's Records - Andrew F. Schoeppel Administration - Jan. 11, 1943 - Jan. 12, 1947 - Kansas State Historical Society
- Office of the Governor of Kansas
- Fort Hays Coaching Records Archived 2011-05-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Andrew Frank Schoeppel at the College Football Data Warehouse at the Wayback Machine (archived 2015-09-06)
|Governor of Kansas
|U.S. Senator (Class 2) from Kansas
Served alongside: Clyde M. Reed, Harry Darby, Frank Carlson
James B. Pearson