Andrej Sekera (born June 8, 1986) is a Slovak professional ice hockey player currently under a contract with the Dallas Stars of the National Hockey League (NHL). He Has formerly played for the Buffalo Sabres, Slovan Bratislava, Carolina Hurricanes, Los Angeles Kings and Edmonton Oilers. A defenceman, he was drafted in the third round, 71st overall, by the Sabres in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
June 8, 1986|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||204 lb (93 kg; 14 st 8 lb)|
Los Angeles Kings
71st overall, 2004|
After playing one season in the Slovak Extraliga for Dukla Trenčín, Sekera came to North America. He played two seasons with the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), where in the 2005–06 season, he won the Max Kaminsky Trophy as the OHL's most outstanding defenceman.
On July 14, 2006, Sekera signed a three-year contract with the Buffalo Sabres. He made his professional debut with the Sabres' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Rochester Americans, in the 2006–07 season. He also appeared in two NHL games with the Sabres early in the season.
On July 19, 2011, Sekera signed a four-year contract extension with the Sabres worth $11 million and in doing so, avoided salary arbitration.
During the 2012–13 NHL lockout, which cancelled the majority of the first half of the 2012–13 season, Sekera played in his native Slovakia with Slovan Bratislava of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). He returned to the Sabres following the return of NHL play in January 2013.
On June 30, 2013, during the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Sekera was traded by the Sabres to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for the team's second-round draft pick (ultimately used to select J. T. Compher) and defenceman Jamie McBain.
Los Angeles KingsEdit
In the midst of the 2014–15 season, in the last year of contract before approaching unrestricted free agency, and with the Hurricanes out of playoff contention, on February 25, 2015, Sekera was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a conditional first-round draft pick and defensive prospect Roland McKeown.
During the 2017 Stanley Cup playoffs, Sekera suffered a torn ACL. It was announced he would miss six-to-nine months. Sekera made his 2017–18 season debut on December 22 in a 3–2 win over the St. Louis Blues.
During the 2018 offseason, Sekera injured his Achilles tendon while training and was set to be out indefinitely. In the 2018–19 season, following a lengthy rehab, Sekera returned to play on a conditioning assignment with AHL affiliate the Bakersfield Condors, on February 5, 2019. After five games, Sekera returned to the Oilers and made his first appearance with Edmonton in over a year, playing a third-pairing defensive role against the Arizona Coyotes on February 19, 2019. Sekera played out the season with the Oilers to finish with 4 assists in 24 games.
Having been limited to just 60 regular-season games over the previous two seasons, Sekera's tenure with Edmonton ended as he was placed on unconditional waivers by the Oilers in order to buy out the remaining two years of his initial six-year contract on June 30, 2019.
On July 1, 2019, Sekera was signed as a free agent to a one-year $1.5 million contract with the Dallas Stars.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2004–05||Owen Sound Attack||OHL||52||7||21||28||18||6||0||4||4||4|
|2005–06||Owen Sound Attack||OHL||51||21||34||55||54||11||5||8||13||9|
|2014–15||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||16||1||3||4||6||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honorsEdit
- "Sabres re-sign Sekera, Ellis". The Sports Network. 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Hurricanes trade McBain, pick to Sabres for Sekera". The Sports Network. 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- "Kings acquire Sekera from Hurricanes". The Sports Network. 2015-02-25. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "Oilers agree to terms with Andrej Sekera". Edmonton Oilers. July 1, 2015. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "Oilers' Andrej Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL". Sportsnet.ca. May 16, 2017. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Campbell, Tim (December 22, 2017). "Sekera return provides boost on, off ice for Oilers". NHL.com. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- "Sekera out indefinitely for Oilers with torn Achilles tendon". NHL.com. August 14, 2018. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- "Good times are rolling during Andrej Sekera's Bakersfield rehab". Edmonton Sun. February 12, 2019. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Oilers defenseman Sekera takes return to lineup in stride". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. February 19, 2019. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "Oilers clear cap space with buyout of Andrej Sekera". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. June 30, 2019. Retrieved June 30, 2019.
- "Stars sign defenseman Andrej Sekera to 1-year contract". Dallas Stars. July 1, 2019. Retrieved July 1, 2019.