Andrea Belli (13 October 1703 – 19 October 1772) was a Maltese architect and businessman. He designed several Baroque buildings, including Auberge de Castille in Valletta, which is now the Office of the Prime Minister of Malta.
|Born||13 October 1703|
|Died||19 October 1772 (aged 69)|
|Occupation||Architect and businessman|
|Auberge de Castille|
Teresa Gam (m. 1737)
Life and careerEdit
Under the influence of his brother Gabriele, listener of the Master Mason Pinto, Andrea got regular commissioned works by the Order of Malta as designer of the main buildings of the 18th century Maltese Baroque architecture.
- Seminary (now the Cathedral Museum), Mdina (1733–42, attributed)
- Augustinian priory, Rabat (1740)
- Auberge de Castille, Valletta (1741–45)
- Bishop's curia, Floriana (1743)
- Centrepiece of Bishop's Palace, Valletta
- Church of Our Lady of Divine Providence, Siġġiewi (1750)
- Palazzo Don Raimondo (now the National Museum of Fine Arts), Valletta (1761–63)
- St. Philip Neri church, Birgu (attributed)
- Palazzo Bonici, Valletta
- Chapel at Villa Cagliares in Zejtun (attributed)
Auberge de Castille is regarded as his masterpiece.
Belli married Teresa Gam on 5 June 1737, and they had one son called Giuseppe.
He died on 19 October 1772 at the age of 69.
- Schiavone, Michael J. (2009). Dictionary of Maltese Biographies Vol. 1 A-F. Pietà: Pubblikazzjonijiet Indipendenza. p. 192. ISBN 9789993291329.
- Ellul, Michael (2010). "Malta Limestone goes to Europe: Use of Malta Stone outside Malta". In Joseph F. Grima (ed.). 60th anniversary of the Malta Historical Society: a commemoration. Zabbar: Veritas Press. pp. 371–406. ISBN 978-99932-0-942-3. OCLC 779340904. Archived from the original on 25 March 2019.
- Albert Ganado (2001). Palace of the Grand Masters in Valletta. Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti. p. 38. ISBN 9789993210122. OCLC 264974877.
- Giovanni Bonello (2000). Histories of Malta. 1. Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti. p. 161. ISBN 9789993210016. OCLC 48039980.
- Gaul, Simon (2007). Malta, Gozo and Comino. New Holland publishers. p. 325. ISBN 9781860113659.
- Mifsud, Maria (23 November 2008). Restoring old buildings. Times of Malta. Archived from the original on 1 April 2016.
|This Malta-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|