Andre Walker Hair Typing System
The Andre Walker Hair Typing System is classification system for hair types created in the 1990s by Oprah Winfrey's stylist Andre Walker. It was originally created to market Walker's line of hair care products but has since been widely adopted as a hair type classification system. The system includes images of each hair type to aid classification. The system has been criticised for an apparent hierarchy which values caucasian hair over other hair types. In 2018 the system was the subject of episodes of the podcasts 99% Invisible and The Stoop.
|Type||Hair texture||Hair description|
|1a||Straight (fine)||Very soft, shiny, hard to hold a curl, hair tends to be oily, hard to damage.|
|1b||Straight (medium)||Has much body. (i.e. more volume, more full).|
|1c||Straight (coarse)||Hard to curl (i.e. bone straight).|
|2a||Wavy (loose waves)||Can accomplish various styles. Loose "S" pattern. Hair sticks close to the head.|
|2b||Wavy (defined waves)||A bit resistant to styling. Hair has more of a defined "S" pattern. Hair Tends to be frizzy.|
|2c||Wavy (wide waves)||Hair has wider waves. Resistant to styling. Hair tends to be frizzy.|
|3a||Curly (loose curls)||Thick and full with much body. Definite curl pattern. Hair tends to be frizzy. Can have a combination texture.|
|3b||Curly (tight curls)||Medium amount of space of the curls. Can have a combined texture.|
|3c||Curly (corkscrews)||Tight curls in corkscrews. The curls are very tightly curled.|
|4a||Kinky-coily (defined coil)||Tightly coiled. Has a very defined "o"-shaped pattern.|
|4b||Kinky-coily (z coil)||Tightly coiled. Little less defined kink pattern. Has more of a "Z"-shaped pattern.|
|4c||Kinky-coily (tight coil)||Tightly coiled. Almost no visible defined kink pattern, unless seen from up close. Has more of a very tight "o"-shaped pattern.|
- "Andre Walker hair typing system - Women Health Info Blog". Women Health Info Blog. 2017-02-01. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "The Hair Chart - 99% Invisible". 99% Invisible. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "Q&A with Andre Walker". Oprah.com. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "The Andre Walker System: Hair Typing Chart - The Salon and Spa at Studio 2121". www.studio2121.com. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "Episode 13: Are you a 4C?". The Stoop. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "The Only Hair Typing System Article You'll Ever Need". Curl Centric® | Rewrite the Rules of Natural Hair Care. 2017-03-09. Retrieved 2018-04-25.