Andover High School (Massachusetts)
Andover High School (formerly Punchard High School) is a high school in the town of Andover, Massachusetts. Andover High School's principal is Mr. Philip T. Conrad. It is the only public high school in the Andover Public Schools district. The school adopted a new 7+H schedule in the 2017-18 school year, which received wide criticism from students and parents alike.
|Andover High School|
Andover High School
80 Shawsheen Road|
Andover, Massachusetts 01810
|School district||Andover Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Sheldon H. Berman|
|Principal||Mr. Philip T. Conrad|
|Number of students||1,738|
|Student to teacher ratio||13:1|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Merrimack Valley Conference (MVC)|
|Team name||Andover Golden Warriors|
|Rival||Central Catholic High School|
|Average SAT scores||
1202 total (2016-2017)
The school has a Media Center/Library located in the center of the school and a cafeteria located toward the north-west side of the school. Additionally, the building houses two gymnasiums, which are used as Andover town voting facilities. The largest gymnasium is an add-on to the school building made after the completion of the main construction.
It is also the location of the J. Everett Collins Center for the Performing Arts, an auditorium that seats 1,200 people. It is home to the AHS Drama Guild, whose recent productions include Ripcord (2018) Sweeney Todd (2017) Almost Maine (2017) True Places (2017) Guys & Dolls (2016), The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (2016), 33 Variations (2015) In the Heights (2015) Rent: School Edition (2010), The Farnsworth Invention (2010), Sound of Music (2009), Brighton Beach Memoirs (2009), A Chorus Line (2008), and Titanic: The Musical (2007).
Sports are also offered at Andover High School for both men and women. Offered year round, the sports vary from Track and Field to Swimming and Diving as well as Volleyball and much more. The teams compete in the Merrimack Valley Conference. The teams, whose mascot is a golden eagle, are styled as the Golden Warriors.
Andover High School, as of the 2012–2013 school year, has a population of 1,799 students in grades 9 through 12.
- White – 80.0%
- Asian – 11.7%
- Hispanic – 4.1%
- African American – 1.7%
- American Indian/Alaskan Native - 0.1%
- Pacific Islander - 0.1%
- Multi-Racial - 2.3%
There are a total of 132 full-time teachers on staff, creating a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1.
- Michael Chiklis, actor
- Jay Leno, comedian and longtime host of NBC's The Tonight Show
- Arthur T. Demoulas, CEO of DeMoulas Market Basket
- Rob Oppenheim, professional golfer
- Briga Heelan, actress
- Martin Johnson (musician), former lead singer of Boys Like Girls
- Ryan Hanigan, professional baseball player
- Buddy Farnham, former New England Patriots wide receiver
- Jesse Gallagher, vocals, musician of Apollo Sunshine
- Sid Watson, former NFL player and hockey coach
- Jacob Bannon, musician and artist, vocalist in metalcore band Converge
- Joe Sirois, musician, drummer in the ska punk band The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Blanchard Ryan. actress
- "Andover Public Schools - Schools". Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "Andover High School". Andover High School Official Website. Andover High School. Retrieved November 6, 2016.
- Andover students ‘disgusted’ by hazing incident Archived December 3, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Accessed 2011-11-30
- Andover High School Enrollments Rates Archived June 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Accessed 2009-04-26
- Andover Highschool Student Demographics Archived June 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Accessed 2009-04-26
- Brian Messenger (June 26, 2008). "Keys to the town for Michael Chiklis: Andover's own TV bad boy to be honored tomorrow". The Andover Townsman Online. Archived from the original on July 21, 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Tim Lima (July 31, 2014). "Classmates cheer kind, hard-working Arthur T. Demoulas; Embattled Market Basket ex-CEO called 'just one of the boys'". The Andover Townsman Online. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Barry Scanlon. "After a brilliant amateur career, Andover's Rob Oppenheim has set his sights on the PGA Tour". North Shore Golf and Tennis. Archived from the original on 29 September 2011. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Andover's Ryan Hanigan Signs Extension With Reds". CBS Boston. March 14, 2011.