Andi (Andrei) Gutmans is a programmer and entrepreneur, born in Switzerland and currently residing in the United States. He helped to co-create PHP, and co-founded Zend Technologies and is a VP Engineering, Databases at Google. A graduate of the Technion, the Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Gutmans and fellow student Zeev Suraski created PHP 3 in 1997. In 1999 they wrote the Zend Engine, the core of PHP 4, and founded Zend Technologies, which has since overseen PHP advances, including the PHP 5  and most recent PHP 7 releases. The name Zend is a portmanteau of their forenames, Zeev and Andi.
Gutmans served as CEO of Zend Technologies until October 2015 when Zend was acquired by Rogue Wave Software. Before being appointed CEO in February 2009, he led Zend's R&D including development of all Zend products and Zend's contributions to the open-source Zend Framework and PHP Development Tools projects. He has participated at Zend in its corporate financing and has also led alliances with vendors like Adobe, IBM, Microsoft, and Oracle.
Gutmans served on the board of the Eclipse Foundation  (October 2005 - October 2008), is an emeritus member of the Apache Software Foundation, and was nominated for the FSF Award for the Advancement of Free Software in 1999.
In 2004 he wrote a book called "PHP 5 Power Programming"  together with Stig Bakken and Derick Rethans.
In March 2016, Gutmans left Rogue Wave to join Amazon Web Services. Explaining his motivations, Gutmans cited "Cloud infrastructure adoption is at a tipping point" and "the data 'center of gravity' is moving to the cloud", where Amazon "appears to effectively balance innovation and invention: a focus on customer value with a bias to action". In his role at Amazon Web Services, Gutmans managed Amazon Elasticsearch Service, Amazon Redshift, Amazon CloudSearch, Amazon ElastiCache and Amazon Neptune.
In May 2020, Gutmans joined Google as VP Engineering, Databases.
- "CEO Friday Fun-Facts: Andi Gutmans, CEO & Co-founder at Zend". Viola Group. Jul 3, 2015.
- "Andi Gutmans Zend corporate biography". 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-09-13. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Andi & Zeev Creators of PHP 5". 2008. Archived from the original on 1 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Andi & Zeev PHP History". 2008. Archived from the original on 8 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Zend Technologies Co-Founder Andi Gutmans Named Chief Executive Officer". 2009. Archived from the original on 6 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- "Andi Gutmans Eclipse Foundation Board Member". 2008. Archived from the original on 5 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Andi Gutmans Joined Eclipse Foundation as Board Member". 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Andi Gutmans Joined Eclipse Foundation Board Member 2nd Ref". 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-01-05. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Andi Gutmans Apache Software Foundation Emeritus Member". 2008. Archived from the original on 1 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Andi Gutmans Free Software Foundation Award Nominee". 2008. Archived from the original on 24 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- Gutmans, Andi; Bakken, Stig Sæther; Rethans, Derick (2008). PHP 5 Power Programming book at Amazon. ISBN 978-0131471498.
- "ComputerWorld Article Andi Gutmans". 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "ComputerWorld Article Full Profile of Andi Gutmans". 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "ComputerWorld Article 40 Under 40". 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Andi Gutmans Leaving Zend Rogue Wave". InternetNews.com. Retrieved 2016-07-30.
- "AWS hires PHP legend Andi Gutmans to nurture its next-generation NoSQL database". Silicon Angle. Retrieved 2016-07-30.
- "Why I am joining the Amazon Web Services big data group". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "Andi Gutmans' Linkedin Page". Archived from the original on 2020-05-23.