And Other Stories
And Other Stories is an independent British book publisher founded in 2009, notable for being the first UK publisher of literary fiction to make direct, advance subscriptions a major part of its business model as well as for its use of foreign language reading groups to choose the books that it publishes. The company originally operated from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, but is now based in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. In 2012, it was nominated for the Newcomer of the Year award by the Independent Publishers Guild (IPG).
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Headquarters location||Sheffield, South Yorkshire|
|Distribution||NBN International (Europe)|
Consortium Book Sales & Distribution (North America)
And Other Stories was founded in 2009 by Stefan Tobler.
And Other Stories first came to the public's attention when its first book, Down the Rabbit Hole by Juan Pablo Villalobos (translated by Rosalind Harvey), was chosen by the public to be one of the ten titles longlisted for the 2011 Guardian First Book Award. It went on to make the shortlist and has also been shortlisted for the Oxford-Weidenfeld Translation Prize.
Deborah Levy's Swimming Home was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2012, as well as UK Author of the Year at the Specsavers National Book Awards 2012 and the Jewish Quarterly-Wingate Prize 2013.
And Other Stories was nominated for and subsequently won Publisher of the Year in the 2011 3:AM Magazine Awards.
List of booksEdit
- All the Lights by Clemens Meyer
- Down the Rabbit Hole by Juan Pablo Villalobos
- Swimming Home by Deborah Levy
- Open Door by Iosi Havilio
- Happiness is Possible by Oleg Zaionchkovsky
- The Islands by Carlos Gamerro
- Zbinden's Progress by Christoph Simon
- Lightning Rods by Helen DeWitt
- Black Vodka by Deborah Levy
- Captain of the Steppe by Oleg Pavlov
- All Dogs are Blue by Rodrigo de Souza Leão
- Quesadillas by Juan Pablo Villalobos
- Paradises by Iosi Havilio
- Double Negative by Ivan Vladislavić
- "Trade". And Other Stories Publishing. Retrieved 15 November 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Brock, Ollie (2 February 2012). "Fiction in translation's future?". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 22 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Mansfield, Catherine. "A 21st century labour of love". BookTrust. Archived from the original on 11 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Carter, Helen (10 October 2012). "Independents' day? Small presses make up 50% of Booker shortlist" The Guardian. Accessed 2 May 2013.
- Womersley, Maggie (3 September 2012). "And Other Stories: An Interview with Stefan Tobler" Writers' Hub. Accessed 2 May 2013.
- Shine, Bridget (March 2012). "The IPG Independent Publishing Awards 2012". Independent Publishers Guild. Archived from the original on 14 April 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
Also shortlisted for the IPG Newcomer of the Year Award were And Other Stories and How 2 Become.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Villalobos, Juan Pablo (11 November 2011). "Guardian First Book Award Shortlist: Juan Pablo Villalobos". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 22 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Oxford-Weidenfeld Translation Prize". St Anne's College Oxford. Archived from the original on 23 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Man Booker Prize 2012 shortlist Retrieved 23 January 2013
- Waterstones UK Author of the Year announcement Archived 2013-01-18 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 23 January 2013
- Jewish Quarterly-Wingate Prize 2013 shortlist Archived November 5, 2012, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 23 January 2013
- "3:AM Awards 2011". 3:AM Magazine. Retrieved 22 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Official website
- Peet, Lisa (18 February 2010). "And Other Stories: Publishing by Forum". Open Letters Monthly: Like Fire. Retrieved 25 September 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- theguardian.com (1 October 2010). "Reasons to be cheerful about literature in translation". theguardian.com. Posted by Stuart Evers. London. Retrieved 25 September 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Levy, Deborah (16 March 2012). "Thérèse and Isabelle, By Violette Leduc, trans. Sophie Lewis". The Independent. London. Retrieved 25 September 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)