Ana y Bruno
Ana y Bruno (English: Ana and Bruno) is a 2017 Mexican computer-animated horror-comedy-drama film based on the novel, Ana by Daniel Emil. It is produced by Altavista Films and Lo Coloco Films, and co-produced by Ítaca Films and Ánima Estudios.
|Ana y Bruno|
|Spanish||Ana y Bruno|
|Literally||Ana & Bruno|
|Directed by||Carlos Carrera|
|Produced by||Pablo Baksht|
Fernando de Fuentes
José C. García de Letona
|Written by||Daniel Emil|
Flavio González Mello
by Daniel Emil
Marina de Tavira
Daniel Carrera Pasternac
|Music by||Victor Hernández Stumpfhauser|
Lo Coloco Films
Discreet Arts Productions
|Distributed by||Corazon Films|
|Box office||MX$21.3 million|
After 13 years of production, the film was released in Mexico on 31 August 2018, receiving favorable reviews. It is described to be the most expensive animated film in the Mexican film industry with the budget of $104 million pesos (est. $5.35 million USD).
A young girl named Ana searches for her father to help save her troubled mother.
Prior to its release, the film has received praise from other acclaimed Mexican film directors, including Alfonso Cuarón and Guillermo del Toro. The film received favorable reviews from critics upon release, with many praising the story and theme, while criticism is focused on the animation and content. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film currently has a 71% "Fresh" rating.
Despite favorable feedback, the film also drew criticism from parents which many call "unsuitable" for younger viewers, and even caused some to leave theaters early during the film's showings. The film has been given an "A" rating, allowing attendance of viewers of all ages (equivalent to the "G" MPAA rating) by Mexico's RTC film rating system, drawing backlash. The nature of the film's plot is focused on real-life situations such as mental illness and death, and has a "dark tone" which parents call "depressing". They also criticized the designs of certain characters in the film for being "terrifying". However, many other family viewers have praised the film's story and writing, while otherwise criticizing the overall content. It is believed that the film's controversy has led to its underperformance.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2018||15th Premios Canacine||Mejor Película de Animación
(Best Animated Film)
|Ana y Bruno||Won|
|2019||2018 Premios Quirino||Best Ibero-American Animation Feature Film||Carlos Carrera||Won|
|61st Ariel Awards||Mejor guion adaptado
(Best Adapted Screenplay)
|Daniel Emil, Flavio González Mello||Nominated|
|Mejor largometraje animado
(Best Feature Animation)
|Victor Hernández Stumpfhauser||Nominated|
- "Ana and Bruno, the most expensive movie of national cinema". Newsbeezer.com. Newsbeezer.com. 31 August 2018. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "Películas Animadas 2000 – 2018". Canacine (in Spanish). Canacine. Retrieved 15 December 2018. (through Excel file download)
- "Ana y Bruno box office". Box Office Mojo. Amazon, Inc. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- KADNER, MARIÉN (31 August 2018). "'Ana y Bruno', nacida para triunfar". EL PAÍS. EDICIONES EL PAÍS S.L. Retrieved 4 January 2019. In Spanish.
- Almaraz, Lau (31 August 2018). "Ana y Bruno, la película más cara del cine mexicano, se estrena hoy". Cultura Colectiva. Cultura Colectiva. Retrieved 4 January 2019. In Spanish.
- "¿Ana y Bruno no es una película para niños?". Plumas Atomicas. bild.media. 4 September 2018. Retrieved 4 January 2019. In Spanish.
- Lang, Jamie (25 June 2019). "'Roma,' 'The Good Girls' Top Mexico's Ariel Academy Awards". Variety (magazine). Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- SALGADO, IVETT (28 October 2017). "'Ana y Bruno' llegan al Festival de Cine de Morelia". Milenio (in Spanish). Grupo Milenio. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Ana y Bruno estrenará en el Festival de Annecy". Cinegarage (in Spanish). Cinegarage. 25 April 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Venezuela, Francisco (12 September 2018). "¿Por qué Ana y Bruno fracasó en taquilla?". Reves (in Spanish). Reves. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Escogido, Gabriel (3 September 2018). "Ana y Bruno: ¿Por qué una parte del público considera que no es apta para niños?". Tomatazos. BuscaTodo.com S de RL de CV. Retrieved 4 January 2019. In Spanish.
- "Ganadores Premios CANACINE 2018". Canacine. Canacine. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "WINNERS - Premios Quirino". Quirino Awards. Premios Quirino. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- Magaña Arce, Arturo (23 April 2019). "Ariel 2019: Lista completa de nominados". Cine Premiere (in Spanish). g21 Comunicación Entertainment. Retrieved 1 May 2019.