American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists
The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH) is an international learned society devoted to the scientific studies of ichthyology (study of fish) and herpetology (study of reptiles and amphibians). The primary emphases of the society are to increase knowledge about these organisms, to communicate that knowledge through publications, conferences, and other methods, and to encourage and support young scientists who will make future advances in these fields. The programs of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists are part of a global effort to interpret, understand, and conserve the Earth's natural diversity and to contribute to the wise use of natural resources for the long-term benefit of humankind.
|Founder||John Treadwell Nichols|
|F. Douglas Martin|
|Maureen A. Donnelly|
On December 27, 1913, John Treadwell Nichols published the first issue of Copeia, a scientific journal dedicated to the knowledge of fish, reptiles, and amphibians. Nichols named Copeia to commemorate Edward Drinker Cope, a prominent 19th-century ichthyologist and herpetologist. The first edition of Copeia was four pages in length and comprised five articles.
In an effort to increase the publication of Copeia and communication among ichthyologists and herpetologists, Nichols met with Henry Weed Fowler and Dwight Franklin in New York City. Together, the three men founded the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists; however, this achievement is often given to Nichols exclusively.
By 1923, the Society accommodated around 50 members. Furthermore, the length of Copeia extended to 120 pages and an editorial staff established by the society assumed responsibility for the mass publication and expansion of this quarterly journal. Presently, the society has more than 2,400 members and Copeia features 1,200 pages of informative content and is found in over 1,000 institutional libraries..
- American Elasmobranch Society
- American Fisheries Society
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists
- Asociación Herpetologica Espanola
- Association of Systematics Collections
- Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs
- European Snake Society
- Herpetologists' League
- International Union for Conservation of Nature
- Kansas Herpetological Society
- Native Fish Conservancy
- Neotropical Ichthyological Association
- North American Native Fishes Association
- Integrative and Comparative Biology
- Society for Northwestern Vertebrate Biology
- Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles
- Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections
- Southeastern Fishes Council
- Southwestern Association of Naturalists
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. "Mission Statement". About ASIH. Archived from the original on 2006-05-01. Retrieved May 27, 2006.
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. "Beginnings". About ASIH. Archived from the original on 2006-05-01. Retrieved May 27, 2006.