The American Journal of Physics is a monthly, peer-reviewed scientific journal published by the American Association of Physics Teachers and the American Institute of Physics. The editor-in-chief is Beth Parks (Colgate University).
|Edited by||Beth Parks|
American Association of Physics Teachers
|ISO 4||Am. J. Phys.|
Aims and scopeEdit
The focus of this journal is undergraduate and graduate level physics. The intended audience is college and university physics teachers and students. Coverage includes current research in physics, instructional laboratory equipment, laboratory demonstrations, teaching methodologies, lists of resources, and book reviews. In addition, historical, philosophical and cultural aspects of physics are also covered. According to the 2021 Journal Citation Reports from Clarivate, this journal has a 2020 impact factor of 1.022.
The former title of this journal was American Physics Teacher (vol. 1, February 1933) (ISSN 0096-0322). It was a quarterly journal from 1933 to 1936, and then a bimonthly from 1937 to 1939. After volume 7 was published in December 1939, the name of the journal was changed to its current title in February 1940. Hence, the publication begins under its new title with volume 8 in February 1940.
Abstracting and indexingEdit
This journal is indexed in the following databases:
- Abstract Bulletin of the Institute of Paper Chemistry (PAPERCHEM in 1969)
- Applied Science & Technology Index (H.W. Wilson Company)
- Chemical Abstracts
- Computer & Control Abstracts
- Current Index to Journals in Education (CSA Illumina - ERIC database)
- Current Physics Index
- Electrical & Electronics Abstracts
- Energy Research Abstracts
- General Science Index ( H.W. Wilson Company)
- International Aerospace Abstracts
- Mathematical Reviews
- Physics Abstracts. Science Abstracts. Series A
- "Current Frequency: Monthly, 2002; and Former Frequency varies, 1940-2001" "Library catalog" (Online). Library of Congress. Aug 22, 2007. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- Confirmation of Editor, ISSN, CODEN, and other relevant information. "Masthead" (PDF). American Association of Physics Teachers. 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-08.
- "About this journal". American Association of Physics Teachers. 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-24.Brief description of this journal.
- "Library catalog" (accessed via World Cat). Wellesley College, Massachusetts. Retrieved 2011-01-24.Bibliographic information for this journal. Abstracting and indexing services are listed here. "v.8 (1940:Feb.)-v.36 (1968), v.59 (1991)"
- Wolfe, David. "Beth Parks to Become Next Editor of the American Journal of Physics". American Association of Physics Teachers. Retrieved 2020-09-09.
- Journal Impact Factor. Journal Citation Reports™ from Clarivate, 2021.
- Information pertaining to the former title "The American Physics Teacher". "Library catalog". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- Bechtel, Rosanna M (1995). "A brief history of the Abstract Bulletin of the Institute of Paper Science and Technology". Publishing Research Quarterly. 11 (3): 145–151. doi:10.1007/BF02680458.
- ERIC of CSA Illumina. "A print equivalent is no longer available. Historically, ERIC records were included in the print publications Resources in Education (1966-2002); and Current Index to Journals in Education (1969-2002)." 2009.