American Hardcore (film)
American Hardcore: The History of American Punk Rock 1980–1986 is a documentary directed by Paul Rachman and written by Steven Blush. It is based on the book American Hardcore: A Tribal History also written by Blush. It was released on September 22, 2006 on a limited basis. The film features some early pioneers of the hardcore punk music scene including Bad Brains, Black Flag, D.O.A., Minor Threat, Minutemen, SSD, and others. It was released on DVD by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on February 20, 2007.
The movie poster for American Hardcore.
|Directed by||Paul Rachman|
|Written by||Steven Blush|
|Starring||Various musicians, entertainment executives, etc.|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures|
|September 22, 2006|
This documentary film addresses the birth and evolution of hardcore punk rock from 1978 to 1986 (although the packaging says 1980-1986). The documentary boasts extensive underground footage shot during the height of the hardcore movement. It features exclusive interviews with early hardcore punk music artists from bands such as Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, and many more.
The film was shot and edited for 5 years with many clips of 80s hardcore bands being sent in by the bands themselves. Some of the footage was shot by director Paul Rachman in the 80s with the most notable piece of footage being the final show of Negative FX which spawned a riot after the power was cut mid-song.
Many of the interviews were actually done in both Paul Rachman's and Steven Blush's apartments in different areas to make it seem like they were done in different locations.
|American Hardcore OST|
|Studio album by |
|Released||10 October 2006|
|Genre||Hardcore punk, thrashcore|
- Nervous Breakdown – Black Flag
- Out of Vogue – Middle Class
- Pay To Cum – Bad Brains
- Fucked Up Ronnie – D.O.A.
- Red Tape – Circle Jerks
- Filler – Minor Threat
- I Remember – MDC
- Nic Fit – Untouchables
- Kill a Commie – Gang Green
- Boston Not L.A. – The Freeze
- Straight Jacket – Jerry's Kids
- Boiling Point – SSD
- Who Are You/Time To Die – Void
- Came Without Warning – Scream
- Enemy for Life – YDI
- Runnin' Around – D.R.I.
- Don't Tread On Me – Cro-Mags
- Friend or Foe – Negative Approach
- Bad Attitude – Articles of Faith
- Think For Me – Die Kreuzen
- I Hate Sports – 7 Seconds
- Brickwall – Big Boys
- I Was a Teenage Fuckup – Really Red
- I Hate Children – The Adolescents
- My Mind's Diseased – Battalion of Saints
- Ha Ha Ha – Flipper
- Victim In Pain – Agnostic Front
- Jonathan Anastas formerly of D.Y.S. and Slapshot
- Phil Anselmo formerly of Pantera and Superjoint Ritual
- Brian Baker of Bad Religion, formerly of Minor Threat and Dag Nasty
- Dicky Barrett of Mighty Mighty Bosstones, formerly of Impact Unit and The Cheapskates
- Vic Bondi formerly of Articles of Faith
- Dave Brockie of Death Piggy (which would later form into the band GWAR), formerly of X-Cops, and the Dave Brockie Experience
- Brandon Cruz of Dr. Know (band), formerly of the Dead Kennedys
- Bob Cenci of Gang Green and Jerry's Kids
- Steve "Mugger" Corbin, former Black Flag roadie and formerly of Nig-Heist
- Mike Dean of Corrosion of Conformity
- Dave Dictor of MDC
- Chris Doherty of Gang Green, formerly of Jerry's Kids
- Harley Flanagan founding member of the Cro-Mags
- Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, formerly of Fear
- Flipper members Bruce Loose, Ted Falconi and Steve DePace
- Greg Ginn formerly of Black Flag
- Jack Grisham of T.S.O.L.
- Brett Gurewitz of Bad Religion, owner of punk rock record label Epitaph Records
- H.R., Dr. Know and Darryl Jenifer of Bad Brains
- Greg Hetson of Bad Religion and the Circle Jerks
- John Joseph of the Cro-Mags
- Joe Keithley of D.O.A.
- Alec Mackaye formerly of The Faith
- Ian Mackaye of Fugazi, formerly of The Teen Idles and Minor Threat
- Paul Mahern of Zero Boys
- Moby formerly of the Vatican Commandos and, briefly, Flipper1.
- Keith Morris of the Circle Jerks, formerly of Black Flag
- Reed Mullin of Corrosion of Conformity
- Rev. Hank Peirce former roadie for Slapshot, Corrosion of Conformity and Uniform Choice
- Kira Roessler formerly of Black Flag
- Henry Rollins of Rollins Band, formerly of Black Flag and State of Alert
- Kevin Seconds of 7 Seconds
- Dave Smalley of Down by Law, formerly of D.Y.S., ALL, and Dag Nasty
- Bobby Steele of The Undead and The Misfits
- Dave "Springa" Spring formerly of SS Decontrol
- Vinnie Stigma of Agnostic Front
- Mike Watt formerly of the Minutemen and Firehose
- Perry Webb of Culturcide
- Todd Youth of The Chelsea Smiles, formerly of Agnostic Front, Warzone and Murphy's Law
- Mike Patton of Middle Class, Elysian Fields, Trostky Icepick and Jeff Atta of Middle Class
- Unterberger, Richie. "American Hardcore: The History of American Punk Rock 1980-1986 – Original Soundtrack". Allmusic. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- "American Hardcore". sonyclassics.com. Archived from the original on 2009-02-25.
- An Interview with director Paul Rachman
- American Hardcore Reviews at Metacritic.com
- Billboard.com article about movie
- American Hardcore on IMDb
- American Hardcore soundtrack
- Featured rock photographer Edward Colver's website