American Diabetes Association
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) is a United States-based nonprofit that seeks to educate the public about diabetes and to help those affected by it by funding research to manage, cure and prevent diabetes (including type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, and pre-diabetes).
In 2016, the ADA's total revenue was $171 million.
The organization has engaged telemarketers at very large costs in the past. In one instance, the ADA entered into contract with InfoCision, a telemarketing firm that works closely with nonprofits, whereby only 15% of the expected funds raised would be given to the ADA with the other 85% being kept by the telemarketing firm. Furthermore, the telemarketers were instructed to lie to prospective donors regarding how much of their donation will go to the ADA.
The ADA was founded in 1939 by six leading physicians − including Dr. Herman O. Mosenthal, Dr. Joseph T. Beardwood Jr., Dr. Joseph H. Barack, and Dr. E. S. Dillion − at their 1939 meeting of The American College of Physicians. In September 1946, they hosted a meeting in Toronto, Canada to celebrate the twenty-fifth anniversary of the discovery of insulin. The meeting served as a successful forum for hundreds of physicians and leading figures interested in the studies of diabetes and carbohydrate metabolism. The organization is now a national nonprofit with 40 affiliate organizations, more than 800 individual chapters, over a million volunteers, and almost 1,000 staff members − including officer and a board of directors.
Funding and spendingEdit
In 2017, the ADA's total revenue was $150 million − approximately 70% of which was from corporate and private contributions and grants while the remaining 30% from sales and investments. In addition, the ADA also encourages supporters to organize “Do-It-Yourself” fundraisers in the form of local events, such as a game night or community walk.
In 2017, the ADA spent $49 million on research, $49 million on information, $31 million on advocacy and public awareness, $10.7 million on management, and $35.8 million on fundraising.
The ADA aims to give individuals with diabetes access to the care they need to optimize their health. To work towards achieving this mission, the organization places effort into funding research projects that help minority groups navigate diabetes. The ADA works with various colleges, local governments, and companies to promote healthy lifestyles. They also fund research looking to control risk factors associated with diabetes, as seen in a recently published article discussing the role of microglia immune cells in diet-induced obesity.
Advocacy efforts in policy, law, and educationEdit
The ADA has had several accomplishments in the policy arena, including gathering advocates at Call to Congress (a lobbying event on Capitol Hill) to raise awareness for ADA's legislative priorities, calling for regulations on insulin prices, and helping to improve Medicare's coverage policy for the National Diabetes Prevention Program. On the legal front, the ADA has supported appellate litigation regarding employer discrimination of employees with diabetic conditions, including cases involving both government employers (Atkins v. Salazar)and private companies (Darnell v. Thermafiber).
The ADA has provided diabetes education to the workforce of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), raised funding for diabetes prevention programs throughout the United States, and taken steps to prevent diabetes discrimination through developing materials on the care of students with diabetes to be used in educational institutions. Additionally, the ADA holds events for local diabetic community, including programs such as "Step Out" that support walk events to stop diabetes.
- "Consolidated Financial Statements and Consolidating Schedules" (PDF). American Diabetes Association. December 31, 2016.
- "Charities Deceive Donors Unaware Money Goes to a Telemarketer". Bloomberg Markets. Archived from the original on March 5, 2013. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- Deceptive Telemarketing Linked to Big Charities Chronicles of Philanthropy
- Myers L (September 12, 2012). "Donors unaware charity money goes to telemarketer". NBC Today Show. Archived from the original on January 28, 2013. Retrieved September 16, 2012. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Striker, C (1956). Diabetes: Its Early Medical and Cultural History. New York, NY: Springer.
- "American Diabetes Association - ADA". Healthfinder.gov. 2009. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- "Who We Are". American Diabetes Association. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- KPMG (May 29, 2018). "American Diabetes Association Consolidated Financial Statements and Consolidating Schedules" (PDF). Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- "Our Corporate Supporters". American Diabetes Association. 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- "Tour de Cure". American Diabetes Association. 2018. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- "Impact Statement". American Diabetes Association - Stop Diabetes. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- Kaltman S, Serrano A, Talisman N, Magee MF, Cabassa LJ, Pulgar-Vidal O, Peraza D (February 2016). "Type 2 Diabetes and Depression: A Pilot Trial of an Integrated Self-management Intervention for Latino Immigrants". The Diabetes Educator. 42 (1): 87–95. doi:10.1177/0145721715617536. PMID 26590385.
- Hasson RE, Adam TC, Pearson J, Davis JN, Spruijt-Metz D, Goran MI (2013). "Sociocultural and socioeconomic influences on type 2 diabetes risk in overweight/obese African-American and Latino-American children and adolescents". Journal of Obesity. 2013: 512914. doi:10.1155/2013/512914. PMC 3666294. PMID 23762538.
- "American Diabetes Association Recognizes U.S. Companies and Organizations as New Health Champions". American Diabetes Association. July 21, 2016. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- Colberg SR, Sigal RJ, Fernhall B, Regensteiner JG, Blissmer BJ, Rubin RR, Chasan-Taber L, Albright AL, Braun B (December 2010). "Exercise and type 2 diabetes: the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association: joint position statement". Diabetes Care. 33 (12): e147–67. doi:10.2337/dc10-9990. PMC 2992225. PMID 21115758.
- Valdearcos M, Douglass JD, Robblee MM, Dorfman MD, Stifler DR, Bennett ML, Gerritse I, Fasnacht R, Barres BA, Thaler JP, Koliwad SK (July 2017). "Microglial Inflammatory Signaling Orchestrates the Hypothalamic Immune Response to Dietary Excess and Mediates Obesity Susceptibility". Cell Metabolism. 26 (1): 185–197.e3. doi:10.1016/j.cmet.2017.05.015. PMC 5569901. PMID 28683286.
- "Call to Congress 2018". American Diabetes Association. September 20, 2018. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- "Advocacy Accomplishments – 2017 Highlights". American Diabetes Association. March 1, 2018. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- Atkins v. Salazar, 677 F.3d 667 (5th Cir. 2012).
- Darnell v. Thermafiber, 417 F.3d 657 (7th Cir. 2005).
- "Legal Advocacy". American Diabetes Association. February 27, 2017. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- "Hometown Advocacy". American Diabetes Association. March 1, 2018. Retrieved November 5, 2018.