America's Next Top Model (season 18)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The eighteenth cycle of America's Next Top Model (subtitled as America's Next Top Model: British Invasion) premiered on February 29, 2012 and was the twelfth season to air on The CW. It occupied the time slot of the final two scheduled episodes of Remodeled. This was the first American edition of Top Model to be filmed and broadcast in high definition (HD). The cycle featured fourteen contestants, placing seven British models who had competed in previous cycles of Britain's Next Top Model alongside seven all-new American models.
|America's Next Top Model (season 18)|
Cycle 18 cast
|No. of contestants||14|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Original network||The CW|
|Original release||February 29 –|
May 30, 2012
The prizes for this cycle included a modeling contract with LA Models & NY Model Management, a guest correspondent placement with Extra, a fashion spread in Vogue Italia, and both the cover and a spread in Beauty In Vogue, becoming the face of America’s Next Top Model fragrance "Dream Come True", production of a record single released by CBS Records, and a US$100,000 contract with CoverGirl cosmetics.
The cycle featured seven contestants from previous cycles of Britain's Next Top Model for a second chance to win the title. Cycles 1 and 7 were unrepresented, cycles 2, 3, 4 and 6 were each represented by one contestant, and cycle 5 was represented by three contestants. The returning contestants from Britain's Next Top Model and their prior placements were:
|Cycle 2||Jasmia Robinson||3rd place|
|Cycle 3||Louise Watts||Runner-up|
|Cycle 4||Catherine Thomas||Runner-up|
|Cycle 5||Annaliese Dayes||7th place|
|Ashley Brown||4th place|
|Cycle 6||Alisha White||Runner-up|
(Ages stated are at start of contest)
|UK||Jasmia Robinson||24||1.74 m (5 ft 8 1⁄2 in)||London, England||Episode 1||14|
|US||Mariah Watchman||20||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)||Pendleton, Oregon||Episode 2||13|
|UK||Louise Watts||25||1.74 m (5 ft 8 1⁄2 in)||London, England||Episode 3||12 (quit)|
|US||Candace Smith||22||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)||Brooklyn, New York||Episode 4||11|
|UK||Ashley Brown||22||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)||Armadale, Scotland||Episode 5||10|
|US||AzMarie Livingston||24||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Milwaukee, Wisconsin||Episode 6||9|
|US||Kyle Gober||20||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Magnolia, Texas||Episode 7||8|
|US||Seymone Cohen-Fobish||19||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)||Augusta, Georgia||Episode 8||7|
|UK||Catherine Thomas||22||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)||Folkestone, England||Episode 9||6|
|US||Eboni Davis||18||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)||Seattle, Washington||Episode 10||5|
|UK||Alisha White||20||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)||South London, England||4 (quit)|
|UK||Annaliese Dayes||24||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)||London, England||Episode 11||3|
|US||Laura LaFrate||20||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)||Scotia, New York||Episode 13||2|
|UK||Sophie Sumner||21||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)||Oxford, England||1|
No episode aired on April 4, 2012 due to the CW's broadcast of One Tree Hill series finale.
First aired February 29, 2012
The competition starts at Universal CityWalk in Hollywood, seven new models from America finding out that they would battle against previous contestants from Britain's Next Top Model. The culture clash begins with a fashion parade with the models on top of a float. The American girls receive love from their fans, while the British girls are welcomed by silence from the crowd. After the parade, the models take part in a runway challenge with legendary boxing ring announcer Michael Buffer as master of ceremonies. In the challenge, Ashley is offended when Candace calls her a trick, while Jasmia throws her jacket at AzMarie's face. After the show, the girls arrive at their new home. The American girls begin skinny dipping in the pool, which shocks the British girls. The very first photo shoot had the girls portraying American and British public figures while jumping on a trampoline, with sixty cameras capturing them in a 3D shot.
|American Model||American Public Figure||British Model||British Public Figure|
|AzMarie||George Washington||Catherine||Elizabeth I of England|
|Candace||Janet Jackson||Annaliese||Mel B|
|Eboni||Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis||Ashley||Diana, Princess of Wales|
|Kyle||Andy Warhol||Louise||Amy Winehouse|
|Seymone||Michelle Obama||Sophie||Margaret Thatcher|
The last duo, Seymone and Sophie, receive the most praise; while Kyle, Catherine and Laura were also lauded for their good photos. Alisha breaks down into tears, Jasmia and Mariah fall flat in their photos, while Ashley is scolded for thinking beyond the shot. At panel, Tyra states that although she is American, she would be unbiased towards judging the girls in the competition. Catherine, Kyle, Laura, Seymone and Sophie receive praise, while Ashley and Jasmia find themselves in the bottom two for their poor photos. Tyra hands the last photograph to Ashley, resulting in Jasmia's elimination.
- First call-out: Seymone Cohen-Fobish
- Bottom two: Ashley Brown & Jasmia Robinson
- Eliminated: Jasmia Robinson
- Special guests: Kelly Osbourne, Oliver Tolentino, Michael Buffer
First aired March 7, 2012
The remaining thirteen girls received their makeovers at Sally Hershberger's salon. Most of the girls were content with their makeovers except Louise, who was very dismayed with her short, darker colored makeover. Meanwhile, Eboni is burned with a curling iron upon the completion of her makeover and becomes upset for the rest of the day.
The following day, the model had an eating challenge where they must eat some delicacies from the other team's nation, including haggis, marmite, grits, chitterlings, blood pudding, pig's feet, and peanut butter. Candace irritated Seymone when she joked about Seymone eating haggis all by herself. For the photo shoot, the girls had to pose as toddlers in groups, with Kris Jenner posing as their mother and her real-life daughters Kendall and Kylie posing as their sisters.
|Alisha & Louise|
|Annaliese & Seymone|
|Ashley & AzMarie|
|Candace & Eboni|
|Catherine, Laura & Sophie|
|Kyle & Mariah|
At panel, the judges deemed that the UK girls outperformed the US girls in every shot, but Laura received the first call out. Seymone was criticized for simply looking "pretty" in her shot, while Mariah was reprimanded for being too sexy. AzMarie also struggled to get into character, which led to Ashley outshining her in their shot. Mariah and Seymone found themselves in the bottom two: Mariah for being unmemorable and Seymone for falling to the back of the pack and having what Tyra called "beginners' luck". Ultimately, Tyra handed the last photograph to Seymone, whose personality saved her, while Mariah became the first American girl to leave the competition.
- First call-out: Laura LaFrate
- Bottom two: Mariah Watchman & Seymone Cohen-Fobish
- Eliminated: Mariah Watchman
- Featured photographer: Douglas Friedman
- Special guests: Kris Jenner, Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner, Sally Hershberger, Victoria Recaño, Neeko, Amy Nadine
First aired March 14, 2012
After the elimination of the previous episode, The British girls pull a prank on Seymone by throwing paper balls at her while she sleeps, which leads to a clash between Seymone and the British girls. The next morning, Tyra visits the girls to teach and gives them their super model powers, or their "Intoxibella" powers, from her book Modelland. She also speaks to the girls about the "Super Mogul", which is about being a businesswoman and having other jobs related to modeling.
Later, the girls meet Kelly Cutrone for their photo shoot, which is an ad campaign for very.com. After the girls are divided into groups by nation, they assign themselves a concept for the photo shoot, a leader for the group, wardrobe, hair and make-up, props, and castings for male models which are done via Virgin Mobile Phone.
|Theme||60's British Mod||Punk Love|
|Wardrobe||Annaliese & Louise||AzMarie & Eboni|
|Props||Alisha & Catherine||Kyle & Laura|
|Casting||Ashley & Sophie||Candace & Seymone|
At the photo shoot, Candace struggles to give more expression with her face, while Eboni fails to sell the dress. Ashley looks "disgusted" in her session, while Louise blames Annaliese for wasting time and not acting as a leader. During the session, Kelly castigates Louise for her behavior on set. After the photo shoot, the models are allowed to choose their final photo. Back at the house, the British girls discuss Annaliese's disorganized leadership. At the panel, Sophie and Catherine receive praise, while Alisha and Ashley do not. During Louise's critique, Nigel calls her "mean" and Kelly calls her rude which results in Louise telling Kelly she was being rude. This ultimately leads to the judges commenting on Louise's attitude which causes her to dramatically break down and walk off-set, subsequently quitting the competition. During the elimination ceremony, Louise's name is called and Tyra reveals that she would have remained in the competition had she not left on her own accord (despite having a bad attitude and talking back to the judges). Alisha, Ashley, Candace, & Eboni are called forward as the bottom four, all of whom were not liked by the client. Nevertheless, Tyra hands the girls a single sheet with all four of their photographs and decides to not send any of them home, partially due to them being able to handle criticism.
- Quit: Louise Watts
- First call-out: AzMarie Livingston
- Bottom four: Alisha White, Ashley Brown, Candace Smith & Eboni Davis
- Eliminated: None
- Featured photographer: Jerry Metellus
- Special guest: Cat Deeley
First aired March 21, 2012
After Louise's exit, the British girls become emotional after panel. Eboni becomes frustrated over her brand (30-Never) and she feels she can't portray this youthful and innocent title due to her troubled upbringing. She develops tension towards Kyle when Eboni complains about her shot at panel. The contestants are later introduced to Martin Lindstrom for their challenge, which is to present and sell a fictional product while remaining true to their brands.
|Annaliese||Universal Remote Control|
The judges for the challenge are a group of regular people chosen off the streets of Los Angeles. Annaliese and Sophie receive good feedback, while Eboni is criticized for coming across as a "know-it-all". Kyle receives good feedback from the crowd, which angers some of the girls, who had thought her commercial wasn't good. Eboni and Alisha continue to attack Kyle, which pushes to her limits and makes her consider leaving the competition. Annaliese ultimately wins the reward challenge, and wins the prize with the British girls.
For the photo shoot, the girls are taken to the Sepulveda Dam at the Los Angeles River, where they pose with vintage American cars while wearing hats by Irish designer Philip Treacy with Nigel as their photographer. Most of the girls receive good feedback and do generally well, while Sophie, Seymone, and Candace struggle during the shoot. At panel, AzMarie and Laura receive strong praise for their photos. Despite having a good shot, Kyle is reprimanded for not looking like a model. Sophie is confronted by the panel for failing to deliver, but it was Seymone and Candace who ultimately find themselves in the bottom two for their mediocre photographs. Seymone is saved once again and Candace is eliminated from the competition.
- First call-out: AzMarie Livingston
- Bottom two: Candace Smith & Seymone Cohen-Fobish
- Eliminated: Candace Smith
- Featured photographer: Nigel Barker
- Special guest: Martin Lindstrom
First aired March 28, 2012
The remaining models are informed that they will go to Toronto for the LG Fashion Week. The models undergo castings for several different fashion shows. Ashley, Catherine and Seymone fail to book any shows, while Laura and Kyle are fired from the Pink Tartan show after being viewed as inexperienced. Eboni and Sophie end up winning the reward challenge for booking the most shows and for their excellent performance, as well.
For the photo shoot, the girls are covered with maple syrup and leaves. The girls fly back to Los Angeles for panel and most of the praise goes to the American girls. While her photo is critiqued, Catherine breaks down to tears for not booking any of the shows in Toronto. Eboni's excellent photograph earns her first call-out, while Ashley and Catherine land in the bottom two for not booking any of the castings. Catherine is ultimately saved due to the sheer strength of her photograph, while Ashley is eliminated from the competition despite her endearing personality.
- First call-out: Eboni Davis
- Bottom two: Ashley Brown & Catherine Thomas
- Eliminated: Ashley Brown
- Featured photographer: Miguel Jacob
- Special guests: Beverly Johnson, Kim Newport-Mimran, Jairo Betancur, Hans Koechling, Adam Taubenfligel, Travis Taddeo, Cassie Dee, Pao Lim, Danielle Martin, Jose Manuel St. Jacques, Simon Belanger, George Antonopoulos, Cynthia Florek, Erika Larva, Patrick Rahme, Anita Patrickson
Jessica Sutta & Nadine CoyleEdit
First aired April 11, 2012
In the beginning of the episode, some of the girls accidentally rip Laura's stuffed elephant, which was given to her by her deceased friend Kevin, and throw the ear into the swimming pool. Laura then displaces her anger towards Kyle, who was trying to help but instead pushes Laura over the edge. Later, All-Star winner Lisa D'Amato informs the models that they will have to perform in a group music video.
|Team||Name||Music Video Title|
|Alisha, Annaliese, Catherine & Sophie||Fiercely British||"We'll Mash You Up"|
|AzMarie, Eboni, Kyle, Laura & Seymone||United Sirens of America||"Stop, Drop and Tooch"|
At the recording studio, the UK girls do substantially better that the US contestants while Catherine excelled that performance while Kyle, Eboni, AzMarie and Sophie struggled. Later, Tyra teaches the girls about the different types of "booty tooch". AzMarie refuses to participate in the lesson after refusing to wear the butt pad. During the music video shoot, the British contestants excelled the shoot, except for Sophie, who selling a lipstick and struggles with her shoot, while the American girls fail to work as a team. Kyle pulls down the performance of her teammates and she runs out of the bathroom, while AzMarie is castigated for her attitude on set. At panel, all of the British girls receive good feedback, with Sophie and Alisha deemed the contenders. This leads to Alisha earning a first call-out during the elimination ceremony, making her the first British girl to receive one. She is quickly followed the remaining Brits: Sophie, Catherine and Annaliese. Most of the American models receive mixed feedback from the judges, but it is Kyle and AzMarie who ultimately land in the bottom two. AzMarie is reprimanded for being overconfident, while Kyle is told that she doesn't own her "model look". Despite her previous strong performances, AzMarie is eliminated after Tyra hands the last screen-grab to Kyle.
- First call-out: Alisha White
- Bottom two: AzMarie Livingston & Kyle Gober
- Eliminated: AzMarie Livingston
- Featured director: Tony Croll
- Special guests: Nadine Coyle, Jessica Sutta, Lisa D'Amato, Tom Polce
First aired April 18, 2012
- Featured photographer: Ben Shaul
- Special guest: Estelle
First aired April 25, 2012
- Featured photographer: Ann He
- Special guests: Georgina Chapman, Brownwyn Cosgrave, Phoebe Stephens, Annette Stephens, Sofia Sizzi, Julian Louie, Siki Im, Giovanna Bataglia, Derek Blasberg, Elizabeth Saltzman, Keren Craig, Francisco Costa
First aired May 2, 2012
- Featured photographer: Paul Tsang
- Special guests: Barney Cheng, Toby Leung, Isabel Augusto, Clement Chan, Anita Patrickson
First aired May 9, 2012
- Featured photographer: Nigel Barker
- Special guest: Nicholas Tse, Anita Patrickson
First aired May 16, 2012
- Featured photographer: Jez Smith
- Special guest: Ben Bennett, William Tang, Gregory Derham, Henry Lau, Marisa Zeman, Evelyn Ho, Marco Chan, Anita Patrickson
First aired May 23, 2012
- Special guest: Anansa Sims
First aired May 30, 2012
- Featured Photographer: Jez Smith
- Special guest: Valentina Serra
- The contestant won the challenge
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant quit the competition
- The contestant was part of a non-elimination bottom four
- The contestant won the competition
- Episode 1 photo shoot: American vs. British public figures
- Episode 2 photo shoot: Toddlers of Kris Jenner
- Episode 3 photo shoot: Very.com trends campaign
- Episode 4 photo shoot: Posing with British hats and American cars
- Episode 5 photo shoot: Covered in maple leaves and syrup
- Episode 6 music video: Booty Tooch group video
- Episode 7 photo shoot: Art installments at a dinner party hosted by Estelle
- Episode 8 photo shoot: Hello Kitty couture
- Episode 9 photo shoot: Wearing silk dresses with silkworms
- Episode 10 photo shoot: Harnessed on the Macau Tower
- Episode 11 photo shoot: Dream Come True perfume in a life-sized bottle
- Episode 13 photo shoot & commercial: Beauty in Vogue spread; CoverGirl Blast Flipstick commercial and print ad
- Mariah – Dark ombre with bangs
- Louise – Beige blunt cut
- Candace – Extra long weave
- Ashley – Strawberry blunt cut
- AzMarie – Shaved design
- Kyle – Strawberry blonde with bangs
- Seymone – Milk chocolate weave
- Catherine – Magenta pink
- Eboni – Straight brown weave with bangs
- Alisha – Black brown weave with one side shaved
- Annaliese – Crazy teased weave, later; weave removed
- Laura – Dyed platinum blonde with blue & red clip-in extensions
- Sophie – Cotton candy pink and bleached eyebrows
During filming, an argument took place between judge Kelly Cutrone and contestant Louise Watts, resulting in Watts voluntarily leaving the show. Following transmission of the episode, Cutrone posted mocking videos to Watts online, and came under fire from fans of the show who accused her of cyberbullying.
- In episode 3, Louise would have been called 8th had she not quit the competition. After revealing this, Tyra asked Alisha, Ashley, Candace, and Eboni to step forward and announced that they were all safe.
- In episode 10, Alisha quit the competition after Eboni's elimination.
- "The British are coming!; America's Next Top Model: British Invasion premiered Wednesday, February 29". The CW. February 9, 2012. Retrieved February 9, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "'America's Next Top Model' Lisa D'Amato Q&A: 'Being a mentor was fun'". Digital Spy. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Lo, Danica (February 29, 2012). "Kelly Cutrone on Judging America's Next Top Model: "If I Keep Smacking Down, We Might Not Have Any Girls Left."". Glamour. Retrieved March 1, 2012.
- Molly Friedman (February 28, 2012). "Will Kelly Cutrone and Tyra Banks Butt Heads on New ANTM Cycle 18 Judges' Panel?" (Web page). wetpaint.com. Wetpaint Entertainment. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "About Cycle 18 Of America's Next Top Model". The CW. February 9, 2012. Archived from the original on October 12, 2007. Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- Nessif, Bruna. "America's Next Top Model: British Invasion Finale: Who Claimed Victory?". Eonline.com. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Kirsch, Becky. "Meet the Ladies of America's Next Top Model: British Invasion". Popsugar.com. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "America's Next Top Model Cast | Bios | Laura". Archived from the original on February 24, 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- "Listings – TheFutonCritic.com – The Web's Best Television Resource".
- "Listings – TheFutonCritic.com – The Web's Best Television Resource".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 8, 2013. Retrieved August 18, 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- FuckMathVEVO (March 17, 2012). "Kelly Cutrone's Response To Louise Watts!!" – via YouTube.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on August 25, 2013. Retrieved August 18, 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Kelly Cutrone on 'ANTM: British Invasion' Quitter Louise: My PR Minions Will 'Take Her Down'".