Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti is an annual festival observed on 14 April to commemorate the memory of B. R. Ambedkar, Indian polymath, the father of the Constitution of India and civil rights activist. It marks Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar's birthday who was born on 14 April 1891. Since 2015 it has been observed as an official public holiday throughout India. Ambedkar Jayanti is celebrated not just in India rather all around the world.
Ambedkar Jayanti Procession at Chaitya Bhoomi
|Official name||Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Jayanti|
|Also called||Bhim Jayanti|
|Type||Secular; birth anniversary of B. R. Ambedkar|
|Observances||Community, historical celebrations|
|Related to||Ashok Vijaya Dashmi|
Constitution Day (India)
Ambedkar Jayanti processions are carried out by his followers at Chaitya Bhoomi in Mumbai and Deeksha Bhoomi in Nagpur. It is a customary for senior national figures, such as the President, Prime Minister and leaders of major political parties, to pay homage at the statue of Ambedkar at the Parliament of India in New Delhi. It is celebrated throughout the world especially by dalits, adivasi, labour workers, women and also those who embraced Buddhism after his example. In India, large numbers of people visit local statues commemorating Ambedkar in procession with lot of fanfare. In 2020, first Online Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated in the world.
Babasaheb Ambedkar's first birthday was publicly celebrated on 14 April 1928 in Pune, by Janardan Sadashiv Ranapisay, who was an Ambedkarite and social activist. He started the tradition of Babasaheb's birth anniversary or Ambedkar Jayanti.
Ambedkar passed his matriculation in 1907. Then, he pursued BA honours in economics and political science from Elphinstone college. He enrolled in Columbia University, New York for the Masters of Arts and got his PhD in economics in 1927. In 1916, he took the admission for the Bar Course at Gray’s Inn along with this he also did another doctoral thesis in economics from the London School of Economics. Ambedkar was master in 64 subjects and was proficient in 11 languages.
On 14 April 1990, Ambedkar was bestowed with Bharat Ratna award. The same year his life size portrait was also unveiled in the Central Hall of Parliament. The period from 14 April 1990 — 14 April 1991 was observed as "Year of Social Justice" in the memory of Babasaheb.
Government of India Issued 10 Rupees and 125 Rupees coins in 2015 to mark the 125 Birth Anniversary in the honor of Ambedkar.
On 14 April 2015, a Google Doodle was published for Ambedkar's 124th birthday. The doodle was featured in India, Argentina, Chile, Ireland, Peru, Poland, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
- "सार्वजनिक सुट्ट्या-महाराष्ट्र शासनाचे अधिकृत संकेतस्थळ, भारत". Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- http://ccis.nic.in/WriteReadData/CircularPortal/D2/D02est/12_6_2015_JCA-2-19032015.pdf Archived 5 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine Ambedkar Jayanti from ccis.nic.in on 19 March 2015
- http://persmin.gov.in/ Webpage of Ministry of Personnel and Public Grievance & Pension
- 125th Dr. Ambedkar Birthday Celebrations Around the World. mea.gov.in
- "Ambedkar Jayanti - Bhim Jayanti - 14 April". Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- Shastree, Uttara (1996). Religious Converts in India: Socio-political Study of Neo-Buddhists. Mittal Publications. ISBN 978-81-7099-629-3. Retrieved 6 April 2010.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "बाबासाहेबांची जयंती कधी आणि कोणी सुरू केली?". Loksatta (in Marathi). 14 April 2018. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Education of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar". SA News Channel.
- "Ambedkar Jayanti 2020: Interesting facts & inspiring quotes by Dr B R Ambedkar". Times of India.
- Ambedkar on stamps. colnect.com
- B. R. Ambedkar on stamps. commons.wikimedia.org
- "Bharat Ratna Baba Saheb". 5 May 2006. Archived from the original on 5 May 2006. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "PM Narendra Modi releases Rs 10, Rs 125 commemorative coins honouring Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar". 6 December 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- "B.R. Ambedkar, a hero of India's independence movement, honoured by Google Doodle". The Telegraph. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 April 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Gibbs, Jonathan (14 April 2015). "B. R. Ambedkar's 124th Birthday: Indian social reformer and politician honoured with a Google Doodle". The Independent. Archived from the original on 14 April 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- "B R Ambedkar 124th birth anniversary: Google doodle changes in 7 countries as tribute". The Indian Express. 14 April 2015. Archived from the original on 7 July 2015.
- "Google's BR Ambedkar birth anniversary doodle on 7 other countries apart from India". dna. 14 April 2015. Archived from the original on 7 July 2015.
- Nelson, Dean (14 April 2015). "B.R. Ambedkar, a hero of India's independence movement, honoured by Google Doodle". Telegraph.co.uk. Archived from the original on 5 January 2016.
- "Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated for the first time outside India as UN organises special event - Firstpost". firstpost.com. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "UN celebrates Ambedkar's legacy 'fighting inequality, inspiring inclusion'". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "संयुक्त राष्ट्र में मनाई गई डॉ. बाबासाहेब भीमराव आंबेडकर जयंती - News State". newsstate.com. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Reporter, Staff (14 April 2017). "Ambedkar Jayanti to be celebrated as Knowledge Day in State". Retrieved 3 March 2019 – via www.thehindu.com.
- government resolution of maharashtra dated 13-04-2017
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ambedkar Jayanti.|