Amazônia Legal (Portuguese pronunciation: [amaˈzonjɐ leˈɡaw]), also known as Brazil's Legal Amazon (BLA), is the largest socio-geographic division in Brazil, containing all nine states in the Amazon basin. The government designated this region in 1948 based on its studies on how to plan the economic and social development of the Amazon region.
This official designation encompasses all seven states of the North Region (Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Pará, Rondônia, Roraima and Tocantins), as well as most of Mato Grosso in the Center-West Region and the western part of Maranhão in the Northeast Region. Amazônia Legal is a 5,016,136.3 km2 region with around 24 million inhabitants; in other words 59% of the geographic territory of Brazil is part of Amazônia Legal, but only 12.34% of the Brazilian population lives there. The administrative unit was initially established by Federal Law No. 5.173 (Art. 2).
Although called Amazônia Legal, the region overlaps three different biomes: all of Brazil's Amazon biome, 37% of the Cerrado biome, and 40% of the Pantanal biome. The main characteristic of the region is the abundant and tropical vegetation, including large sections of rainforest.
A total population of 24.7 million inhabitants lives in the area, including more than 300,000 indigenous people belonging to more than 170 ethnicities. Among these are many traditional extractive communities.
- Lei Federal Nº 5.173, de 27 de outubro de 1966. Dispõe sobre o Plano de Valorização Econômica da Amazônia; extingue a Superintendência do Plano de Valorização Econômica da Amazônia (SPVEA), cria a Superintendência do Desenvolvimento da Amazônia (SUDAM), e dá outras providências. Senado Federal, Subsecretaria de Informações. Acesso em 28/08/2012.  Archived 2013-09-27 at the Wayback Machine
- INSTITUTO SOCIOAMBIENTAL - ISA (Socio Environment Institute). Laboratório de Geoprocessamento. 2009. Amazônia Brasileira 2009 (mapa). Edição especial Programa Áreas Protegidas da Amazônia (ARPA). 
- Amazônia Ocidental (in Portuguese)
- INSTITUTO BRASILEIRO DE GEOGRAFIA E ESTATÍSTICA (IBGE). 2000. Estimativas populacionais dos municípios em 2009. Acesso em 28/08/2012. 
- The various Amazons - Instituto Sociambiental
- Amazônia Legal, on Noticias Da Amazonia (in Portuguese)
- Bolsa Floresta