|අමරකීර්ති අතුකෝරල |
|Member of Parliament|
for Polonnaruwa District
20 August 2020 – 9 May 2022
|Born||23 December 1964|
|Died||9 May 2022 (aged 57)|
Nittambuwa, Sri Lanka
|Political party||Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna|
|Sri Lanka People's Freedom Alliance|
During the 2022 Sri Lankan protests after armed loyalists of former Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa launched a violent attack against peaceful protestors violence erupted against government politicians. In the town of Nittambuwa, Athukorala's vehicle confronted a mob during which Athukorala's body guard opened fire, killing a man and wounding another. He later escaped along with his bodyguard and sought refuge in a nearby building, where they were later found dead.[a]
- Initially it was disputed if they were killed by the mob or if both committed suicide, but subsequent investigations revealed they had been beaten to death by the angry mob
- "The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka" (PDF). Sri Lankan Government. Archived (PDF) from the original on 20 October 2020. Retrieved 14 August 2020.
- "Hon. Amarakeerthi Athukorala, M.P." Sri Lankan Parliament. Archived from the original on 11 May 2022. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "SLPP MP claims Basil is a leader with 7 brains". NewsHub.lk. 3 July 2021. Archived from the original on 15 July 2021. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "Sri Lanka MP among three killed on day of violence". Archived from the original on 11 May 2022. Retrieved 9 May 2022.