Amaliada (Greek: Αμαλιάδα, Katharevousa: Ἀμαλιάς, Amaliás) is a town and a former municipality in northwestern Elis, West Greece, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Ilida, of which it is the seat and a municipal unit. The municipal unit has an area of 251.945 km2. In 2011, the municipal unit had 28,520 inhabitants, of whom 16,763 lived in the town of Amaliada. It is near the archaeological site of Elis, the city-state whose territory was the site of the ancient Olympic Games. It is situated in the plains of Elis, 6 km from the Ionian Sea. It is 10 km southeast of Gastouni, 16 km northwest of Pyrgos and 60 km southwest of Patras.
|Administrative region||West Greece|
|• Municipal unit||251.945 km2 (97.277 sq mi)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|• Municipal unit||28,520|
|• Municipal unit density||110/km2 (290/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
272 00, 270 69, 273 00
Amaliada was named after Queen Amalia of Greece in the 1830s, and formed by merging two communes, Kalitsa and Dervitselepi. It features a city square with pine trees and a fountain. Most of the streets are in grid order running almost due north, south, east, and west. On the east side, Amaliada has a public sports stadium (mainly used for soccer). The hospital and the monastery of Frangavilla are in the southeast. Amaliada has a train station on the line from Patras to Pyrgos. A street in Amaliada's west side is named Hiroshima in memory of the victims of the nuclear destruction of Hiroshima at the end of World War II. Kourouta and Palouki are the beaches of Amaliada, about 6 km southwest of the town centre.
The municipal unit Amaliada is subdivided into the following communities (constituent villages in brackets):
- Agios Dimitrios (Agios Dimitrios, Kolokythas)
- Agios Ilias
- Amaliada (Amaliada, Agios Ioannis, Kourouta, Marathea, Palouki, Panagia, Tsafleika, Tsichleika)
- Archaia Ilida
- Chavari (Chavari, Agios Georgios, Pera Chavari)
- Dafni (Dafni, Kalathas)
- Douneika (Douneika, Agia Marina, Danika, Kato Kertezaiika)
- Geraki (Geraki, Analipsi)
- Kalyvia Ilidos
- Kardamas (Kardamas, Petroules)
- Peristeri (Peristeri, Asteraiika, Palaiolanthi)
- Roviata (Roviata, Kasidiaris, Paralia, Romeika)
|Sport clubs based in Amaliada|
|Asteras Amaliada F.C.||1947||Football||Earlier presence in Gamma Ethniki|
|Koroivos Amaliadas||1983||Basketball, Volleyball||Presence in A1 Ethniki Basketball|
Twin towns — sister citiesEdit
Amaliada is twinned with:
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- "ΦΕΚ B 1292/2010, Kallikratis reform municipalities" (in Greek). Government Gazette.
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21.
- Sister/Twin Cities of Balıkesir Province
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amaliada.|