Amable Liñán Martínez
November 27, 1934
|Alma mater||Technical University of Madrid|
California Institute of Technology
|Known for||Liñán's diffusion flame theory |
Activation energy asymptotics
Liñán's mixture fraction
Liñán's flame speed
Liñán's similarity transformation
|Institutions||University of California, San Diego|
University of Michigan
Pierre and Marie Curie University
Technical University of Madrid
|Thesis||On the structure of laminar diffusion flames (1963)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gregorio Millán Barbany|
Frank E. Marble
He holds a PhD in Aeronautical Engineering from the Technical University of Madrid, advised by es:Gregorio Millán Barbany and Degree of Aeronautical Engineer from the Caltech advised by Frank E. Marble.
He is currently Professor of Fluid Mechanics and professor emeritus at the Higher Technical School of Aeronautical Engineers of the Polytechnic University of Madrid (attached to the Department of Motorcycle and Thermofluidodynamics of said school). He has taught at universities in California, Michigan and Princeton University in the United States and in Marseilles in France, among others. Since 1997 he is an adjunct professor at Yale University.
He has focused his research studies on the basic problems of combustion, both reactor and planetary probe dynamics, in the latter case working directly for NASA and the European Space Agency. Also, his work of applying mathematics to the problems of combustion have been considered pioneers in the world, to the point that the letters of presentation and support of his candidacy for the 1993 Prince of Asturias Awards, coming from universities and Research centers in various countries, do not hesitate to consider it as a relevant world theoretician in the field.
He is the author of several books and scientific research.
- Paul Clavin; Amable Liñán (1984). Theory of gaseous combustion.
- Paul C. Fife; Amable Liñán; Forman A. Williams, eds. (1991). Dynamical Issues in Combustion Theory. Springer. ISBN 978-1461269571.
- Amable Liñán; Forman A. Williams (1993). Fundamental Aspects of Combustion. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0195076264.
- J. I. Diaz; M. A. Herrero; Amable Liñán; J. L. Vazquez, eds. (1995). Free boundary problems: theory and applications. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 978-0582256453.
In 1989 he was elected member of the Royal Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences. He is also a member of the Royal Academy of Engineering of Spain, France and Mexico. He is also a member of the scientific board of the IMDEA Energy Institute. He is also an elected foreign member of National Academy of Engineering for discoveries using asymptotic analyses in combustion and for contributions to advance engineering science. In 2007 he received the "Miguel Catalán" Research Award from the Community of Madrid and was awarded in 1993 with the Prince of Asturias Award for Scientific and Technical Research. A workshop in honor of Liñán's work was conducted in 2004 and the workshop papers are published in a book titled Simplicity, rigor and relevance in fluid mechanics : a volume in honor of Amable Liñán, CIMNE, (2004).
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-05-25. Retrieved 2017-04-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Liñán, Amable. "The asymptotic structure of counterflow diffusion flames for large activation energies." Acta Astronautica 1.7 (1974): 1007-1039.