|Member of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
1 February 2020
|Born||29 September 1992|
|Alma mater||University of Helsinki|
Before entering European politics, Alametsä has been a city councillor of Helsinki and chairs its equality committee. She works as a project leader in the mental health organization Mental Health Partnership Finland (Mielenterveyspooli).
Education and careerEdit
Alametsä studied political science at the University of Helsinki from 2011 to 2014 graduating with a specialization in world politics. During her university studies, she was active in the student union and governance bodies, participating in several of their business ventures.
As a candidate for the Green League, Alametsä was elected to the Helsinki city council in 2017, after an unsuccessful attempt in 2012. She ran unsuccessfully for parliament twice in 2015 and 2019. During that time, Alametsä campaigned for a law improving mental health issues.
Later in 2019 Alametsä received enough votes to become the alternative member for Finland in the European Parliament – meaning that she only became an MEP until after an additional seat was allocated to for Finland due to Brexit.
Since taking up her seat in parliament, Alametsä has been serving on the Committee on Foreign Affairs. In addition to her committee assignments, she is part of the parliament’s delegation to ACP–EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly.
- "Tasa-arvotoimikunta". Helsingin kaupunki.
- "Alviina Alametsä Mielenterveyspooli 2.0 projektipäälliköksi | MIELI Suomen Mielenterveys ry". mieli.fi.
- "Ovatko tässä tulevat huippupoliitikot? Tapasimme neljä poliitikon uraa aloittelevaa helsinkiläisvaltuutettua". Yle Uutiset.
- "Pekka Haavisto". www.eduskunta.fi (in Finnish). Retrieved 2017-03-25.
- "Helsinki - Kuntavaalit 2017 - Vaalien tulospalvelu | Yle". Vaalien tulospalvelu.
- Maïa de La Baume (February 13, 2020), Newbie MEPs get to work, 8 months late Politico Europe.
- "Brexit tekisi 26-vuotiaasta Alviina Alametsästä europarlamentaarikon – silti hän ei toivo Britannian eroa EU:sta: "Brittien lähtö on tosi iso menetys"". Yle Uutiset.
- Alviina Alametsä European Parliament.