Alsager railway station
Alsager railway station serves the town of Alsager in Cheshire, England. It stands next to a level crossing and is approximately 600 yards from the town centre. The station is 6 1⁄2 miles (10.5 km) east of Crewe on the Crewe to Derby Line which is also a Community rail line known as the North Staffordshire line. The station is owned by Network Rail and managed by East Midlands Trains (EMT) train operating company (TOC).
|Local authority||Cheshire East|
|Managed by||East Midlands Trains|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|9 October 1848||Opened|
|April 1889||Renamed Alsager Rode Heath|
|2 April 1923||Renamed Alsager|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Alsager from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The station is unstaffed. The full range of tickets for travel are purchased from the guard on the train at no extra cost.
It was opened by the North Staffordshire Railway company on 9 October 1848 then became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
Since December 2008, Alsager has been served by both East Midlands Trains local services to Derby and the London Midland (London Northwestern Railway since December 2017) semi-fast service to London Euston via Stoke and Stafford, giving it a Monday-Saturday daytime frequency of two trains an hour in both directions.
The current off-peak service on Monday-Saturday from the station consists of:
- An hourly train in each direction operated by East Midlands Trains between Crewe and Derby.
- An hourly train in each direction operated by London Midland between Crewe and London Euston.
On Sundays there is at least an hourly Crewe - London Euston service for most of the day serving the station and after 14:00 there is an hourly service between Crewe and Derby.
- Quick, Michael (2009) . Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology (4th ed.). Oxford: Railway and Canal Historical Society. ISBN 978-0-901461-57-5. OCLC 612226077.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alsager railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Alsager railway station from National Rail
- Pictures of the station during diversions
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|East Midlands Trains|
|London Northwestern Railway|