2005–06 Alpha Ethniki
The 2005–06 Alpha Ethniki was the 70th season of the highest football league of Greece and the last season under the name Alpha Ethniki, before then was renamed to Super League Greece. The season began on 27 August 2005 and ended on 13 May 2006. Olympiacos won their second consecutive and 34th Greek title. However, the season was somewhat overshadowed by the suspension of the Greek FA by UEFA, which jeopardized the European places of the Champions League, UEFA Cup, and Intertoto Cup qualifiers from Greece, as well as the use of Athens Olympic Stadium as the site of the 2006–07 Champions League final.
34th Greek title
|Goals scored||559 (2.33 per match)|
|Top goalscorer||Dimitris Salpingidis (17)|
Stadia and personnelEdit
- 1 On final match day of the season, played on 13 May 2006.
Final league tableEdit
|Pos||Team||Pld||W||D||L||GF||GA||GD||Pts||Qualification or relegation|
|1||Olympiacos (C)||30||23||1||6||63||23||+40||70||Qualification for Champions League group stage|
|2||AEK Athens||30||21||4||5||42||20||+22||67[a]||Qualification for Champions League third qualifying round|
|3||Panathinaikos||30||21||4||5||55||23||+32||67[a]||Qualification for UEFA Cup first round|
|6||PAOK||30||13||7||10||44||31||+13||46||Ineligible for 2006–07 European competitions[b]|
|7||Atromitos||30||12||6||12||36||37||−1||42||Qualification for UEFA Cup first round|
|8||Larissa||30||10||9||11||31||37||−6||39||Qualification for Intertoto Cup third round|
|14||Levadiakos (R)||30||8||7||15||24||36||−12||31[d]||Relegation to Beta Ethniki|
|16||Akratitos (R)||30||4||6||20||19||47||−28||18||Relegation to Delta Ethniki[e]|
Rules for classification: 1st points; 2nd head-to-head points; 3rd head-to-head goal difference; 4th decision match.
(C) Champion; (R) Relegated.
- Head-to-head record: AEK Athens–Panathinaikos 3–0, Panathinaikos–AEK Athens 1–0.
- PAOK were not licensed to play in the UEFA Cup therefore was replaced by the 7th placed team in the league table, Atromitos.
- Head-to-head record: Panionios–Ionikos 3–3, Ionikos–Panionios 0–1.
- Head-to-head record: Levadiakos–OFI 1–0, OFI–Levadiakos 2–0.
- Akratitos were demoted to the Delta Ethniki owing to financial bankruptcy.
Source: Galanis Sports Data
|4||Nikos Liberopoulos||AEK Athens||14|