Alliance for Europe of the Nations
|Founded||25 June 2002|
|Headquarters||27 boulevard du Prince Henri, 1724 Luxembourg|
|European Parliament group||Union for Europe of the Nations|
The AEN was founded in 2002, designed to complement the existing Union for Europe of the Nations group in the European Parliament. Moves towards establishing standardised funding block grants for European political parties were at this point well afoot, and the parties affiliated with UEN required a corresponding organisation to take advantage of them.
Almost immediately upon its founding, the AEN began to decline in terms of membership and influence. At its first meeting, participants included the Czech Civic Democratic Party, Portuguese CDS-PP, Israeli Likud, Irish Fianna Fáil, Italian National Alliance and the Greek Popular Orthodox Rally, all of which later left the organisation.
The AEN had a broadly national-conservative political line, but many members were uncomfortable with this. There was a strong movement for the centrist Fianna Fáil to leave AEN and join the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party, which it did on 17 April 2009. Also, National Alliance, which despite its post-fascist background was a moderate national-conservative party strongly promoting European integration, grew uncomfortable with AEN and left it for the European People's Party by merging with Forza Italia to form The People of Freedom party on 27 March 2009.
MEPs elected from its member-parties were expected to sit in the affiliated Union for Europe of the Nations (UEN) group in the European Parliament, but UEN collapsed in 2009 following the 2009 European Parliament elections, and MEPs from AEN member parties were scattered across the European Conservatives and Reformists and Europe of Freedom and Democracy groups, and their respective European-level parties, the Alliance of European Conservatives and Reformists and Movement for a Europe of Liberties and Democracy.
|Financial year||Initial grant (EUR)||Final grant (EUR)|
|2004/5||161 250||83 964|
|2005/6||450 000||114 330|
|2006/7||450 000||144 809|
|2007/8||300 000||159 138|
|2008/9||300 000||206 375|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2019-05-15.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "List of Political Parties participating at the A.E.N. meeting on June, 25th - 26th 2002" 25 June 2002
- Nordsieck, Wolfram (2013). "European Union". Archived from the original on 7 December 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Grants from the European Parliament to political parties at European level 2004-2010", 14 April 2010, from http://www.europarl.europa.eu/
- "Grants from the European Parliament to political parties at European level 2004-2008"
- "Alliance for Europe of the Nations". EUobserver. 25 June 2002.
- "Parties". AEN. 2006. Archived from the original on June 20, 2006.
- "Parties". AEN. 2007. Archived from the original on October 12, 2007.
- "Parties". AEN. 22 April 2008. Archived from the original on April 22, 2008.
- "Parties". AEN. 16 February 2009. Archived from the original on February 16, 2009.
- "Meeting of the Alliance for Europe of the Nations". AEN. 3 December 2004. Archived from the original on October 20, 2007.