Alli Petra Pillai
Alli Petra Pillai (transl. The son of Alli) is a 1959 Indian Tamil-language film directed by K. Somu and written by A. P. Nagarajan. Produced by A. Maruthakasi under the banner M. M. Productions, the film stars S. V. Sahasranamam, Pandari Bai and V. K. Ramaswamy. It is a remake of the Hindi film Tonga-wali (1955).
|Alli Petra Pillai|
|Directed by||K. Somu|
|Produced by||A. Maruthakasi|
K. V. Mahadevan
V. K. Muthuramalingam
|Screenplay by||A. P. Nagarajan (dialogues)|
|Starring||S. V. Sahasranamam|
V. K. Ramaswamy
|Music by||K. V. Mahadevan|
|Cinematography||V. K. Gopanna|
|Edited by||T. V. Jayarangan|
M. M. Productions
Besides producing the film under M. M. Productions, A. Maruthakasi also worked as lyricist. The other producers were K. V. Mahadevan (who also worked as music director), Violin Mahadevan and V. K. Muthuramalingam. The film prominently features a horse, which was brought from Mangalore by Maruthakasi. This was the only film Maruthakasi had produced and was supposed to be completed within six months; instead it took two years as Maruthakasi was busy writing lyrics and also false rumours of him not writing lyrics led to huge problems.
Music was scored by K. V. Mahadevan while the lyrics were penned by A. Maruthakasi. Playback singers are T. M. Soundararajan, Sirkazhi Govindarajan, Thiruchi Loganathan, G. Ramanathan, S. C. Krishnan, P. Susheela, Jikki and L. R. Eswari.
|1||"Asai Atthaan Kai Pidikka"||P. Susheela||03:47|
|2||"Arivirukkum.... Idhu Theriyum"||T. M. Soundararajan||03:01|
|3||"Ammaa Appaa Yenru"||Sirkazhi Govindarajan||01:17|
|4||"Summa Summa Sirichukittu"||T. M. Soundararajan & P. Susheela||03:16|
|5||"Kaatthiruken Veliyoram"||Thiruchi Loganathan & L. R. Eswari||03:16|
|6||"Paisaavai Pottu Naisaaga Vaangi"||S. C. Krishnan||02:35|
|7||"Ejaman Petra Selvame"||G. Ramanathan||03:01|
|8||"Nalla Naalu Romba Nalla Naalu"||T. M. Soundararajan, Sirkazhi Govindarajan & Thiruchi Loganathan||03:15|
|9||"Nalla Naalu Romba Nalla Naalu"||T. M. Soundararajan & P. Susheela||01:39|
|10||"Onnum Onnum Serndhaakka"||Sirkazhi Govindarajan & Jikki||02:55|
|11||"Idhukku Adhu Thevala"||Sirkazhi Govindarajan & Jikki||03:12|
Release and receptionEdit
Alli Petra Pillai was released on 31 July 1959. The film was a commercial failure, and made Maruthakasi face huge debts.
- Film News Anandan (2004). Saadhanaigal Padaitha thamizh thiraipada varalaru [Tamil film history and its achievements] (in Tamil). Chennai: Sivagami Publishers. Archived from the original on 12 March 2017.
- Kantha, Sachi Sri (15 September 2020). "Lyricist Maruthakasi's Autobiographical Notes". Ilankai Tamil Sangam. Archived from the original on 22 October 2020. Retrieved 17 February 2021.
- "மருதகாசி சொந்தமாக தயாரித்த அல்லி பெற்ற பிள்ளை" [Alli Petra Pillai was personally produced by Maruthakasi]. Maalai Malar (in Tamil). 17 January 2017. Archived from the original on 12 March 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- Neelamegam, G. (2014). Thiraikalanjiyam — Part 1 (in Tamil) (1 ed.). Chennai: Manivasagar Publishers. p. 160.
- Gopalakrishnan, P. V. (14 August 2017). "Filmy Ripples – When the vendors lipped a song". The Cinema Resource Centre. Archived from the original on 14 August 2017. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "பாடிய இசையமைப்பாளர்களும் வாடிய பாடகர்களும்!". Dinamalar (in Tamil). Nellai. 15 March 2016. Archived from the original on 7 April 2018. Retrieved 7 April 2018.