The Allen's swamp monkey (Allenopithecus nigroviridis) is a species of Old World monkey and the only member of the genus Allenopithecus. Phylogenetically, it is a sister clade to the guenons, but differs in dentition and habits.
|Allen's swamp monkey|
|Allen's swamp monkey range|
This monkey is a rather strongly built animal. The slight webbing of the fingers and toes point to its partially aquatic way of life. Allen's swamp monkey can reach a full body length from 45 to 60 cm, with a roughly 50-cm-long tail. Males, weighing up to 6 kg, are substantially larger than the females (up to 3.5 kg).
Allen's swamp monkey is a diurnal animal and regularly looks for food on the ground. It inhabits swampy, water-rich areas and can swim well, diving to avoid danger. It lives in social groups of up to 40 animals, communicating with different calls, gestures, and touches.
Little is known of the mating habits of this species. The females bear young, which are weaned around three months old and are mature after three to five years. Its lifespan can be as long as 23 years. Raptors, snakes, and the bonobo are the natural predators of Allen's swamp monkey. It is also hunted for its meat.
- Groves, C. P. (2005). "Order Primates". In Wilson, D. E.; Reeder, D. M (eds.). Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 153. ISBN 978-0-8018-8221-0. OCLC 62265494.
- Maisels, F.; Mittermeier, R.A.; Oates, J.F.; Hart, J. (2020). "Allenopithecus nigroviridis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2020: e.T865A166606573. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2020-1.RLTS.T865A166606573.en. Retrieved 19 November 2021.
- Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael (2009). The Eponym Dictionary of Mammals. Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 8. ISBN 9780801895333.
- Cassidy, Rod. "Allens monkey Youtube". YouTube. Sangha Lodge. Archived from the original on 2021-12-22. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Data related to Allenopithecus at Wikispecies
- Media related to Allenopithecus nigroviridis at Wikimedia Commons
- Primate Info Net Allenopithecus Factsheets