Allegheny County Police Department
The Allegheny County Police Department is a law enforcement agency in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The department provides law enforcement services to County property, including the Pittsburgh International Airport, the Allegheny County Airport, and various parks, as well as contract services to the borough of Wilmerding. It also provides assistance to all municipal law enforcement agencies, and generally investigates all serious crimes, such as homicide, except in the City of Pittsburgh.
|Allegheny County Police Department|
Seal of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Flag of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.svg
|Motto||"To Serve With Honor"|
|Operations jurisdiction||Allegheny, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Map of Allegheny County Police Department's jurisdiction.|
|Size||745 square miles (1,930 km2)|
|Allegheny County Police website|
The Allegheny County Police Department was established in 1932 by an act of the Allegheny County Board of Commissioners and the Pennsylvania Legislature.
The executive of the Allegheny County Police Department is the Superintendent, who is appointed by the County Executive, and assisted by two Assistant Superintendents. The current Superintendent is Coleman McDonough, since June 2016. The department is in turn divided into two Divisions, each commanded by an Assistant Superintendent.
The Uniformed Division is primarily responsible for patrol of the Pittsburgh International Airport, Allegheny County County Airport, nine county parks and several other county facilities and buildings.
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal K-9
- Detention Services
- Narcotic Detection K-9
- Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT)
- Airport Drug Interdiction Team
- Mounted Unit
- Motorcycle Detail
The Uniformed Division is primarily responsible for investigation of crimes which occur on county property, and all serious crimes which occur within municipalities.
- General Investigations
- Executive Protection / Cold Case Squad
- Evidence Processing Unit
Since the establishment of the department, three members have died in the line of duty.
- "Police | Command Staff". www.alleghenycounty.us. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "Police | Leadership and Staff | Biography". www.alleghenycounty.us. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "County introduces new police superintendent". New Pittsburgh Courier. 2016-06-01. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "Mounted Patrol Unit | Police | Allegheny County". www.alleghenycounty.us. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "Allegheny County Executive Fitzgerald: Wilmerding deal likely to hike taxes". cqrcengage.com. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "Growing up through the cracks: Policing change brings cops up close with kids in poverty". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "Allegheny County Police Department, PA". The Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP). Retrieved 2019-04-03.