Allahabad Junction railway station
Allahabad Junction, officially known as Prayagraj Junction, is a railway station on the Howrah–Delhi main line, Allahabad-Mau- Gorakhpur main line and Howrah–Allahabad–Mumbai line. It is the headquarters of the North Central Railway Zone. It is located in Allahabad district in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It serves Allahabad and the surrounding areas.
|Indian Railways junction station|
|Location||Leader Road, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh|
|Elevation||316.804 metres (1,039.38 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||North Central Railway zone|
|Line(s)||Howrah–Delhi main line|
|Structure type||Standard on ground|
|Station code||PRYJ, formerly ALD|
|Previous names||East Indian Railway Company|
Railways in Allahabad
The East Indian Railway Company initiated efforts to develop a railway line from Howrah to Delhi in the mid nineteenth century. Even when the line to Mughalsarai was being constructed and only the lines near Howrah were put in operation, the first train ran from Allahabad to Kanpur in 1859. For the first through train from Howrah to Delhi in 1864, coaches were ferried on boats across the Yamuna at Allahabad. With the completion of the Old Naini Bridge across the Yamuna through trains started running in 1865–66.
The opening of the Curzon Bridge, across the Ganges, in 1902, linked Allahabad to regions north of or beyond the Ganges.
The Cheoki-Subedarganj section was electrified in 1965–66.
There are engineering workshops of Indian Railways at Allahabad.
Allahabad Junction is an 'A' grade railway station. Allahabad railway station has 3 double-bedded AC retiring rooms, 9 double-bedded non-AC retiring rooms and a 20-bedded dormitory and is Wi-Fi enabled.
- "After new name, now code initials for Prayagraj Junction". The Times of India. 21 February 2020. Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- "IR History: Early History (1832–1869)". IRFCA. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Allahabad Division: A Historical Perspective". North Central Railway. Archived from the original on 1 June 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Railways enter 159th year of its journey". The Times of India. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "India Office Select Materials". Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Indian Railway History – North Eastern Railway" (PDF). Former Bengal & North Western Railway lines. Wordpress. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Varanasi Division". North Eastern Railway. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Sheds and workshops". IRFCA. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. Indian Railways. Archived from the original on 10 May 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Intensive checking at railway station". Times of India.
- "Railways puts in place arrangements to check rush of Maha Kumbh pilgrims". Times of India. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Railways Make Adequate Arrangments [sic] to Ensure Maximum Facilities for Pilgrims of Kumbh Mela – 2013". Press Information Bureau, Government of India, 13 January 2013. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Allahabad travel guide from Wikivoyage
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|North Central Railway zone|
|North Central Railway zone|
|North Eastern Railway zone|
|Northern Railway zone|