All Under One Banner
All Under One Banner (AUOB) is a Scottish Independence pressure group created on the 12 October 2014 with the objective of staging public processions for independence at regular intervals. Neil Mackay, AUOB founder, argued that a strategy of marches for independence across Scotland was needed for those unhappy with the result of the 2014 Scottish independence referendum that saw a majority vote to remain in the United Kingdom.
|Founded||12 October 2014|
|Manny Singh (Operations director) |
The early AUOB team expended much effort networking with other activists Scotland with a plan to stage simultaneous marches elsewhere in Scotland on the same Saturday before the 2015 United Kingdom general election. The only team that followed through was Glasgow which hosted the first march on 25 April from Glasgow Green to George Square, the first independence march in Scotland since the previous year's early autumn referendum, with around 200-300 participants.
AUOB subsequently held further marches in Glasgow. The next Glasgow march took place on 1 August 2015 from Kelvingrove Park to Glasgow Green and consisted of 2,000 people. The third march in Glasgow took place on 24 October 2015 with a smaller turnout, of betwee 500-700 people. The next march at Glasgow took place on 26 March 2016 with 400 attendees. Another march from Kelvingrove Park to Glasgow Green took place on 30 April 2016 with a few hundred participants.
Larger numbers of people took part in an event on 30 July 2016 at the 6th AUOB March. The following 3 June 2017 saw 25,000 demonstrators. After 2017 there was not another All Under One Banner march until the 5 May 2018, again at Glasgow, with a police estimate of 35,000 protesters. Following this demo AUOB embarked on a national tour: 2 June at Dumfries (around 10,000 attended); 23 June Bannockburn (8,000); 28 July Inverness ( 5,000-7,500 according to the police, 14,000 according to the organisers); 18 August Dundee (16,000) with the final march of 2018 taking place in Edinburgh on the 6 October where an estimated 20,000 marched in protest against the outcome of the 2014 vote.
The latest march in Scotland was held on 4 May 2019 in Glasgow, attracting up to 90,000 protesters, according to some estimates. Police Scotland estimated the attendance at the rally following the march to be 35,000 protestors. On 6 May, AOUB activist Manny Singh was arrested and charged with failing to follow the timings and restrictions for the event.
- McCall, Chris (6 May 2019). "All Under One Banner organiser charged over Glasgow independence march". The Scotsman. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "Thousands march through Glasgow in support of Scottish independence". The Sunday Post. DC Thomson. 30 July 2016.
- Slawson, Nicola (5 May 2018). "Thousands of Scottish independence supporters march through Glasgow". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Yes movement basks in sunshine as estimated 10,000 attend the All Under One Banner march in Dumfries". The National. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- . Guardian. 23rd June 2018 https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/23/scottish-independence-supporters-march-bannockburn. Retrieved 12 May 2019. Check date values in:
|date=(help); Missing or empty
- "Farming Energy Jobs Supplements Competitions News Sport Business Lifestyle Video Subscribe Offers All Sections NEWS / INVERNESS Inverness independence march attracts thousands of participants". Press & Journal. 30th July, 2018. Retrieved 12 May 2019. Check date values in:
- "Thousands gather for Dundee All Under One Banner march". HeraldScotland. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "All Under One Banner Edinburgh rally: 20,000 take part in pro-independence march". www.scotsman.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Thousands march through Edinburgh to back Scottish independence". Reuters. 6 October 2018. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Glasgow attracts huge turnout of Yes supporters for pro-independence march". The National. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Tens of thousands march for independence". BBC News. BBC. 5 May 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Thousands take part in independence march". BBC News. BBC. 4 May 2019. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- Boothman, John (6 May 2018). "All under One Banner march in Glasgow piles on pressure for second Scottish independence referendum". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Scottish independence march organiser charged over late start". Guardian. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "'Tide is turning' in Welsh indy movement as AUOB holds first march". The National. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "Huge crowds join Welsh independence rally". 11 May 2019. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- Busby, Mattha (11 May 2019). "Thousands march in Cardiff calling for Welsh independence". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "PressTV-1000s march in Cardiff for Welsh independence". www.presstv.com. Retrieved 2019-05-12.