All Out of Love
"All Out of Love" is a song by the Australian soft rock duo Air Supply, released in 1980 from their fifth studio album Lost in Love. The song was written by Graham Russell & Clive Davis. In the United States, it reached number two on the Hot 100 (blocked from the top spot by both "Upside Down" by Diana Ross and "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen) and number 5 on the Adult Contemporary chart. In the UK, the song went to number 11 and is their only Top 40 hit in that country. It placed 92nd in VH1's list of the 100 Greatest Love Songs in 2003.
|"All Out of Love"|
|Single by Air Supply|
|from the album Lost in Love|
|B-side||"Old Habits Die Hard"|
|Length||4:04 (album version)|
3:53 (single version)
|Songwriter(s)||Clive Davis / Graham Russell|
|Air Supply singles chronology|
The chorus was originally "I'm all out of love, I want to arrest you". However, Clive Davis thought that Americans wouldn’t understand what that meant so he suggested "I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you". This is why he has a songwriting credit.
The song is known for vocalist Russell Hitchcock holding the final note for 16.2 seconds. This was the longest-held note for a male pop singer until 1983, when Sheriff lead vocalist Freddy Curci held the final note of "When I'm with You" for 19.4 seconds.
Air Supply version:
- "All Out of Love" – 4.01
- "Here I Am" – 3.48
- "Every Woman in the World" – 3.32
Air Supply All Out Of Love 2018 Album:
- Lost In Love
- All Out of Love
- Every Woman in the World
- The One That You Love
- Sweet Dreams
- I Want to Give It All
- Even the Nights Are Better
- Two Less Lonely People In the World
- Now and Forever
- Making Love Out of Nothing at All
- Just As I Am
- The Power of Love (You Are My Lady)
- One More Chance
- Lonely Is the Night
- Love Is All
Charts and certificationsEdit
Andru Donalds versionsEdit
|"All Out of Love"|
|Single by Andru Donalds|
|from the album Snowin' Under My Skin|
|Released||April 11, 1999|
|Songwriter(s)||Clive Davis, Graham Russell|
|Andru Donalds singles chronology|
In 1999, Andru Donalds recorded a cover version of the song, which was very successful compared to the original Air Supply in German-speaking countries. Although the version first appeared on the album Snowin 'Under My Skin, she came in the same year in the compilation Chart Hits 6 - 1999 before.
The music video is set in a desert. In the first half of the song Andru Donalds sings the song blindfolded to deserters blindfolded. In between shades are also displayed and a bowl is filled with water. From the second half he sings without a blindfold and draws the attention of a resident to the end.
- All Out Of Love (Radio Edit) - 4:00
- All Out Of Love (Dance Radio Mix) - 3:59
- All Out Of Love (Slow Ambient Mix) - 4:18
- All Out Of Love (Ambient Club Mix) - 6:23
|Chart (1999)||Peak |
|Austrian singles chart||3|
|German singles chart||3|
|Switzerland singles chart||3|
Other cover versionsEdit
In 1981, Hong Kong singer Alan Tam covered in the Cantonese version <小風波＞.
In 1997, Irish boyband OTT recorded the song which peaked at No. 11 in the UK chart, the same peak position as the original.
In 2003, R&B group Jagged Edge recorded their version of the song.
In 2006, Westlife recorded and performed the song on The X Factor as a duet with Delta Goodrem on that band's album, The Love Album. It charted without being properly released as a single. It peaked in 2007 at No. 31 in the Swedish singles chart.
In popular cultureEdit
- "Regina Belle, Air Supply coming for jazz". The Jamaica Observer. January 12, 2011. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016.
- Hal Leonard Corp (2003). VH1 Selections from 100 Greatest Love Songs. Milwaukee, WI: Hal Leonard. ISBN 0-634-05654-9.
- "Graham Russell of Air Supply : Songwriter Interviews". www.songfacts.com. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Clarifying the Rock Era Record for Longest-Held Note for a Hit Song". Inside the Rock Era. Blogspot. 25 March 2016. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Air Supply All Out Of Love 2018 Album Songs".
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – All Out of Love". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Air Supply – All Out Of Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Air Supply – All Out Of Love". Top 40 Singles.
- South Africa Charts
- "Air Supply: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Air Supply Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Air Supply Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – Top 100 End of Year AMR Charts – 1980s". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-09-28. Retrieved 2016-12-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "British single certifications – Air Supply – All Out of Love". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 23 August 2019. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type All Out of Love in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Air Supply – All Out of Love". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 23 August 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- Music video in Youtube.com
- Germany peak position Retrieved August 10, 2007.
- Austrian and Switzerland peak positions Retrieved August 10, 2007.
- Swedish Charts Retrieved July 18, 2007.