Alinta Energy is an Australian electricity generating and gas retailing private company that is owned by Hong Kong-based Chow Tai Fook Enterprises (CTFE), for $4 billion, and was approved by then-Treasurer Scott Morrison in 2017. Alinta Energy has an owned and contracted generation portfolio of up to 1,957 MW, approximately 1.1 million combined electricity and gas retail customers and around 800 employees across Australia and New Zealand.
|Founded||2011, but parts of the business date from 1950s|
|Jeff Dimery (CEO)|
|Products||Natural gas and electricity|
|Owner||Chow Tai Fook Enterprises|
Number of employees
In March 2011, due to a deleveraging transaction by the TPG Group, Alinta became Alinta Energy. Alinta Energy was acquired by Hong Kong-based Chow Tai Fook Enterprises in 2017. Chow Tai Fook Enterprises also acquired Loy Yang B power station with assists from Alinta Energy staff.
In May 2018, Alinta Energy was announced as the principal partner of the Australian Men's cricket team on a four-year deal, the longest in Australian Cricket history. The Alinta Energy logo will feature on the players' kits for all international matches played in Australia.
Alinta Energy's approximately 2,000MW electricity generation portfolio includes:
Alinta Energy's gas assets portfolio includes:
Downstream electricity and natural gas retailEdit
Flinders Power, a division of Alinta Energy, in May 2016 permanently closed Playford A Power Station, Playford B Power Station and Northern Power Station and is in the process of demolishing and remediating the sites. The mining operations at Telford Cut Leigh Creek, which supplied coal to these power stations, ceased in 2015.
- "Alinta Energy Shareholders Sign Binding Agreement to Sell Company to Chow Tai Fook Enterprises", 16 March 2017
- "Alinta Energy sold to Hong Kong's Chow Tai Fook Enterprises for $4 billion-plus" by Sarah Thompson, Anthony Macdonald, Joyce Moullakis, The Australian Financial Review, 15 March 2017 (subscription required)
- "TPG Capital Portfolio".
- Ogden, Melinda (23 November 2017). "Coal-fired Loy Yang B power station sold to Alinta Energy's owners Chow Tai Fook Enterprises". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Loy Yang B Power Station Acquisition" (Press release). Alinta Energy. 24 November 2017. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
Alinta Energy's owner, Chow Tai Fook Enterprises (CTFE), has today entered into a conditional binding agreement to acquire the Loy Yang B power station.
- "Australia land key signing for summer". cricket.com.au. 23 May 2018. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- Palmer, Dan (24 May 2018). "Cricket Australia announce Alinta Energy as shirt sponsor". insidethegames.biz. Dunsar Media Company Limited. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "Alinta Energy Assets".
- "SA's coal era ends, but what's next?". indaily.com.au. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Augusta Power Stations". Flinders Power. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- Leanne Nicholson (7 October 2015). "Alinta to close Leigh Creek mine in weeks". Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Reeves Plains Power Station Proposal". Alinta Energy. Retrieved 12 November 2017.