Alief Hastings High School
Alief Hastings High School is a public high school in the Alief area of Houston, Texas, United States. Originally Alief Junior-Senior High School, which became Alief Middle School, housed all of the secondary students in the district. The school's present location opened, while still under construction, for the fall semester of 1972. All high school students moved to that building, with the first graduating class in May 1973.
|Alief Hastings High School|
Main campus: 4410 Cook Road
Houston, TX 77072-1105
Ninth grade center: 6750 Cook Road
Houston, TX 77072.
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Alief Independent School District|
|Principal||Lynette Miller (2017- present)|
|Teaching staff||286.17 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.34|
|Rival schools||Alief Taylor High School, Alief Elsik High School|
|Website||Hastings High School|
Alief Hastings is a part of the Alief Independent School District and it serves grades 9 through 12. Ninth-graders are in the Alief Hastings Ninth Grade Center (6750 Cook Road, City of Houston, 77072) while tenth through twelfth graders are on the main campus (4410 Cook Road, City of Houston, 77072). The campuses had a combined enrollment of 4207 students as of the 2002-2003 school year. The opening of Alief Taylor High School reduced the overall class size at Alief Hastings significantly. Alief Hastings is considered to be the brother school of Alief Elsik High School.
In 2019 Hastings received a C grade from the Texas Education Agency.
|Campuses in Houston|
All Alief ISD elementary, intermediate, and middle schools feed into Hastings as high school placement in Alief ISD is determined by a computerized lottery: the lottery can result in either Elsik, Hastings, or Taylor. If a student was selected by lottery to attend a high school different from the high school of a relative currently attending or graduated from, the student may opt to transfer to that respective school.
Students may also complete an application for the district's magnet high school, Kerr.
Peggy Miller, a teacher, said that when she started being the school's yearbook advisor at Hastings, 18 years prior to 2008, the number of copies of yearbooks sold was 80% of the total number of students. Around 2008, the copies of yearbooks sold was 10-15% that of the total number of students. In 2008 Miller said "They all want them, but it's like, who's got $60? They would rather go buy their tennis shoes or buy a grill for their mouth or something. A book is not as significant today to a child." In 2008 Miller introduced color pages in an effort to entice students to buy more yearbooks.
In the 2018-2019 school year, there were 3,998 students. 28.0% were African American, 11.0% were Asian, 57.2% were Hispanic, 0.3% were American Indian, 0.2% were Pacific Islander, 2.9% were White, and 0.5% were two or more races. 77.2% of students were Economically Disadvantaged, 23.8% were English Language Learners, and 6.1% received Special Education services.
For the 2018-2019 school year, the school received a C grade from the Texas Education Agency, with an overall score of 77 out of 100. The school received a C grade in two domains, Student Achievement (score of 77) and Closing the Gaps (score of 72), and a B grade in School Progress (score of 80). The school did not receive any of the seven possible distinction designations.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (December 2018)
- Ahmed Ali - a Sudanese professional sprinter who participated in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Ronnie Amadi - CFL football player for the Calgary Stampeders.
- Mo Amer - stand-up comedian
- Donnie Avery - NFL football player for the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Pat Combs - MLB Pitcher
- Shawn Dingilius-Wallace, who participated as a swimmer for Palau in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Dean Hill - Professional Hockey Referee (WPHL, CHL, ECHL)
- Maxo Kream - Rapper
- Duy-Loan Le - Texas Instrument Senior Fellow
- Tembi Locke - actor, Sliders, Windfall
- Thien Thanh Thi Nguyen, better known by her current stage name Tila Tequila
- Sonal Shah - economist, part of Obama-Biden Transition Project
- Monique Truong - novelist, The Book of Salt
- Rodrique Wright - Canadian Football League football player for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
- Richard Yoo - Entrepreneur, Former CEO and Founder of Rackspace, Former CEO and Founder of ServerBeach
- Troy Johnson - Former professional football player for the Chicago Bears
- HASTINGS H S
- Profile: Hastings H S. Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 25 December 2019.
- "International District with Campus Network, 2010". International District. Retrieved 2019-08-14.
- "2010-2011 Alief ISD Registration Times, Dates, & Requirements Archived 2012-04-06 at the Wayback Machine." Alief Independent School District. Retrieved on October 16, 2011. "Students receive their assignments to Elsik, Hastings, or Taylor High School by means of a computerized random-draw system. Following the draw assignment, those who are interested in attending Kerr High School may apply for admission"
- Viren, Sarah. "Yearbooks vanish from Houston schools in Facebook era." Houston Chronicle. Tuesday May 13, 2008. Retrieved on October 25, 2011.
- Overview: Hastings H S. Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 25 December 2019.
- Troy Johnson stats
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alief Hastings High School.|