Alexandra Elliott Wentworth (born January 12, 1965) is an American actress, comedian, author, and producer.
Wentworth at the 2012 premiere of What to Expect When You're Expecting.
Alexandra Elliott Wentworth
January 12, 1965
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Other names||Ali Wentworth|
|Education||Bard College (BA)|
|Occupation||Actress, comedian, author, producer|
George Stephanopoulos (m. 2001)
Wentworth was born in Washington, D.C. to a prominent family. Her mother, Muffie Cabot (née Mabel Brandon Hobart), was Nancy Reagan's White House Social Secretary from 1981 to 1983. Her father, Eric Wentworth, was a reporter for The Washington Post. Her stepfather, Henry Brandon, was the editor of The Sunday Times in London, and her maternal grandmother was explorer Janet Elliott Wulsin (1894–1963).
Wentworth debuted as a cast member on the Fox sketch comedy series In Living Color from 1992 to 1994, where she was known for impressions of Cher, Amy Fisher, Hillary Clinton, Princess Diana, Brooke Shields, Lisa Marie Presley, Sharon Stone, and other characters. Her recurring characters included Candy Cane, a deranged kids show host who had had a string of bad relationships with her male coworkers, and the promiscuous teenage daughter of Grandpa Jack McGee (Jim Carrey) on The Dysfunctional Home Show.
Wentworth made correspondent appearances on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and The Oprah Winfrey Show. In 1995, she played Jerry Seinfeld's girlfriend, Sheila ("Schmoopie"), in the memorable "Soup Nazi" episode of Seinfeld. She had a recurring role as the boss of the title character on the Warner Bros. (WB) series Felicity. In 2003, she co-hosted the syndicated talk show, Living It Up! With Ali & Jack, with Jack Ford.
Wentworth appeared on the July 23, 2017 episode (S2 E07) of the "$100,000 Pyramid" (The $100,000 Pyramid) as a celebrity guest opposite Kathy Najimy, helping her contestant partner win the $150,000 grand prize.
Wentworth is married to George Stephanopoulos, ABC News Chief Anchor correspondent and former Political Adviser to the Clinton Administration. They met on a blind date in April 2001, were engaged two months later, and were married on November 20, 2001, at the Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity on New York City's Upper East Side. They have two daughters: Elliott Anastasia Stephanopoulos (born September 9, 2002) and Harper Andrea Stephanopoulos (born June 2, 2005).
- The WASP Cookbook, Warner Adult, 1997. ISBN 978-0-446-91210-5.
- Ali in Wonderland: And Other Tall Tales. HarperCollins. 2012. ISBN 978-0-06-209809-2.
- Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales, HarperCollins, 2015. ISBN 978-0-062-23849-8. ISBN 0062238493.
- Go Ask Ali: Half-Baked Advice (and Free Lemonade), Harper, 2018. ISBN 978-0062466013.
- 2016–2017: Nightcap .... Staci Cole
- 2009: It's Complicated... Diane
- 2001: Call Me Claus...Lucy
- 1999: Felicity .... Abby (2 episodes)
- 1999: Office Space .... Anne
- 1997: The Love Bug (TV) .... Alex Davis
- 1997: The Real Blonde .... Raina
- 1997: Trial and Error .... Tiffany Whitfield
- 1996: Jerry Maguire .... Bobbi Fallon
- 1996: Big Packages .... Susan
- 1996: Life Among the Cannibals .... Suicidal Singer
- 1995: Seinfeld .... Sheila (1 episode, 1995)
- 1994: Hardball.... Lee Emory (unknown episodes)
- 1992: In Living Color .... Various (63 episodes, 1992–1994, 2001)
- 2014: Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee (Crackle.com)...Self (season 5, episode 6)
- 2012: The Daily Shot .... Herself (2012— )
Writer / ProducerEdit
- 2007: Head Case (28 episodes, 2007–2009)
- Colacello, Bob. The White House's Dinner Theater, Vanity Fair, June 2010.
- Newsmakers, Bard - The Annandale Triangle, February 2012.
- Strauss, Gary (March 19, 2009). "In Starz's 'Head Case,' it takes one to know one". USA Today. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- Steinberg, Jacques (March 4, 2009). "She'll Interpret, or Become, a Nightmare". The New York Times.
- Daily Shot at Yahoo!
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 12, 2016). "Pop Orders 'Traci From Nightcap' Comedy Series Starring Ali Wentworth". Deadline. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "S2 E07 Ali Wentworth vs. Kathy Najimy and Cobie Smulders vs. Ryan Eggold". ABC. July 23, 2017. Archived from the original on August 3, 2017. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- "Things that Shoot to the Top of the Winner's Circle". Twitter.com. July 23, 2017. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- "Stephanopoulis bride's reluctance shortlived". The Post and Courier. November 27, 2001. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "George's Bottom Line". Good Morning America Blogs. ABC News. Archived from the original on December 6, 2009.
- Grove, Lloyd (July 23, 2003). "Ali and George, Living It Up". Washington Post. p. C03.
- Sachs, Mark (May 15, 2009). "Ali Wentworth, 'Head Case'". The Los Angeles Times.
- Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, First Cup: Episode 20, "Ali Wentworth: I'm Going to Take a Percocet"