Algueirão – Mem Martins (Portuguese pronunciation: [aɫɡɐjˈɾɐ̃w̃ ˈmɐ̃ȷ̃ mɐɾˈtĩʃ]) is a Portuguese civil parish, in the municipality (concelho) of Sintra. The population in 2011 was 66,250, in an area of 16.00 km². it has a population density of about 4000 inhabitants per kilometer square (and is one of the most densely populated parishes in Portugal).
|• Total||16.00 km2 (6.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,100/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||WET/WEST (UTC+0/+1)|
It was elevated from the status of village to town on 1 February 1988.
'Mem Martins' is a proper name of uncertain origin, consisting of the medieval given name Mem and the patronymic Martins, likely after one of the first property owners in the region following the Portuguese conquest of Lisbon and Sintra.
- Fountain of Sacotes (Fontanário de Sacotes)
- Church of Nossa Senhora das Mercês (Capela e Recinto da Feira das Mercês/Igreja de Nossa Senhora das Mercês), a 17th-century church and churchyard;
- Hermitage of São Romão (Ermida de São Romão), a Manueline-era rural hermitage, comprising one nave with chapel covered in vaulted ceiling.
- Instituto Nacional de Estatística (INE), Census 2011 results according to the 2013 administrative division of Portugal
- "Áreas das freguesias, concelhos, distritos e país". Archived from the original on 2018-11-05. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- As Freguesias do Município de Sintra segundo os dados provisórios dos CENSOS 2011 Archived 2012-01-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Lei n.º 21/88, de 1 de Fevereiro
- Qual o nome de um natural de Mem Martins? E do Algueirão?