Algeria at the 2010 Winter Olympics
Algeria sent a delegation to compete at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, held between 12–28 February 2010. The country's participation at Vancouver marked its third appearance at a Winter Olympics since its debut in 1992. The delegation consisted of a single cross-country skier, Mehdi-Selim Khelifi. Khelifi competed in the 15 kilometre freestyle event, and finished in 84th place
|Algeria at the|
2010 Winter Olympics
|NOC||Algerian Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Mehdi-Selim Khelifi|
|Winter Olympics appearances (overview)|
Algeria made its Winter Olympic Games debut at the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France. The country was absent from the next three Winter Olympics, returning 14 years later for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. Although Algeria has won medals in the Summer Olympics, no Algerian athlete has ever won a medal at a Winter Games. The nation sent only one athlete to Vancouver, Mehdi-Selim Khelifi, a cross-country skier. Khelifi was selected as the flag bearer in the Parade of Nations during the opening ceremony. Because the delegation had already gone home, an unnamed assistant of the National Olympic Committee carried the flag in the closing ceremony.
Mehdi-Selim Khelifi was 17 years old at the time of the Vancouver Olympics. He was entered into only one event, the 15 kilometre freestyle. The race was held on 15 February 2010, and Khelifi finished with a time of 41 minutes and 38 seconds, roughly eight minutes behind the gold medallist. His time was good for 84th place; there were 95 competitors who finished the race.
|Mehdi-Selim Khelifi||15 kilometre freestyle||41:38.5||8:02.2||84|
- "Algeria". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 7 May 2018. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Complete list of 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic flag-bearers". Vancouver Sun. 12 February 2010. Archived from the original on February 16, 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "The Flagbearers for the Vancouver 2010 Closing Ceremony" (PDF). International Olympic Committee. 28 February 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 April 2010. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Algeria at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 11 July 2017. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Mehdi-Selim Khelifi Bio, Stats, and Results". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 11 July 2017. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Cross Country Skiing at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games: Men's 15 kilometres". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 5 December 2017. Retrieved 7 May 2018.