Algee Smith (born November 7, 1994) is an American actor and singer. After appearing in several small television roles in 2017, Smith first rose to fame portraying Ralph Tresvant in BET's The New Edition Story miniseries. The same year, he garnered critical acclaim as Larry Reed in Kathryn Bigelow's film Detroit. Most recently, he starred in the film, The Hate U Give.
Smith in 2016
|Born||November 7, 1994|
Saginaw, Michigan, U.S.
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Occupation||Actor, Singer, Musician|
Smith was born in Saginaw, Michigan. At the age of 8, he and his family moved from Michigan to Atlanta where he started his acting career. Having a musician for a father and a fashion designer for a mother, Smith was well immersed in the arts and also completed his first rap recording at the age of 9. During this time, he attained several minor television roles; those of which he credits for "perfecting his craft." Smith moved to Los Angeles at the age of 20. He has a half sister name Makyla Wallace .
After appearances in projects such as Disney Channel's Let It Shine and Earth to Echo, Smith landed his first major acting role playing real-life singer Ralph Tresvant in The New Edition Story. Smith also starred in Kathryn Bigelow's film Detroit, about the Algiers Motel incident. His performance was praised by critics. He was also cast to appear alongside Amandla Stenberg in The Hate U Give, a film adaptation of the young adult novel of the same name. On June 22, 2017, Smith released his first EP entitled Listen, featuring a blend of R&B and Hip hop tracks. He also performed a song for the Detroit film soundtrack, called "Grow."
|2012||How to Rock||Spencer||television series|
|2012||Army Wives||Sam||television series|
|2012||Let it Shine||Da Boss||television film|
|2014||Earth to Echo||Marcus Simms|
|2016||The Infamous||Dante||television film|
|2016||Here We Go Again||Warren||television series|
|2016||Saints & Sinners||E.J.|
|2017||The New Edition Story||Ralph Tresvant||television miniseries|
|2018||The Hate U Give||Khalil|
|2018||The Bobby Brown Story||Ralph Tresvant||television miniseries|
- "Saginaw native Algee Smith brings New Edition role to lif e". MLive.com. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Lindsay, Benjamin. "Algee Smith, Detroit's Magnetic Breakout, Has Swag to Spare". HWD. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- Gleiberman, Owen (23 July 2017). "Film Review: Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit". Variety.
- "YA Adaptation 'The Hate U Give' Adds 'Detroit' Star Algee Smith (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Listen - EP by Algee Smith". iTunes. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- "24 by ALGEE SMITH". SoundCloud. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- "Flight Delayed by ALGEE SMITH". SoundCloud. Retrieved December 12, 2018.