Alfred Harvey, born Alfred Harvey Wiernikoff (October 6, 1913 – July 4, 1994), was the founder of comic book publisher Harvey Comics and the creator of the comic book characters Little Dot, Richie Rich, and Adam Awards. He was born to Russian Jewish immigrants.
|Born||October 6, 1913|
|Died||July 4, 1994 (aged 80)|
New Rochelle, New York
Alfred Harvey's company, Harvey World Famous Comics, produced comic books and cartoons featuring Wendy the Good Little Witch, Spooky the Tuff Little Ghost, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Baby Huey, Little Audrey, and Little Dot. It also published "Sad Sack," the military comic strip. Before founding Harvey Comics, Harvey worked for Fox Publications with Joe Simon and Jack Kirby.
Alfred Harvey retired in 1982, and his company was sold to HMH Communications in 1989 and renamed Harvey Comics Entertainment. He died at age 80 in July 1994 at a New Rochelle Hospital, and is buried in Mount Hope Cemetery in Hastings-on-Hudson, New York.
- "United States Social Security Death Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VSFG-V35 : accessed 19 Jul 2013), Alfred Harvey, 4 July 1994.
- Last Page - TheComicBooks.com - The History of Comic Books ... www.thecomicbooks.com/nsp1-14.html The Harvey Comics Company was started by Alfred Harvey Wiernikoff, a son of Russian Jewish immigrants. Later on brothers Leon and Robert would join. Baby-Boom Children and Harvey Comics After the Code: A ... www.english.ufl.edu › Home › Vol. 3 , No. 3 › Articles by KM Jackson - 2007 - Cited by 4 - Related articles In Seal of Approval: The History of the Comics Code , Amy Kiste Nyberg notes that ... The son of Russian Jewish immigrants, Alfred Harvey opposed the Code on ... Jewish ghosts: a round-up - The Canadian Jewish News www.cjnews.com › Culture › Entertainment Oct 30, 2015 - Home Culture Entertainment Seven ghosts who are totally Jewish ... creation of none other than Harvey Comics, a New York City publisher founded in 1941 by Alfred Harvey Wiernikoff, the son of Russian Jewish immigrants. [PDF]The Jewish Comic Book Guys - Larry Kuperman www.larrykuperman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/The-Comic-Book-Guys.pdf Feb 25, 2016 - Jews entered the comic book industry through a combination of ..... Alfred Wiernikoff, had known Simon and Kirby from their days at Fox. Alfred. Harvey, the son of Russian Jewish immigrants, was the creator of comic book.
- "Newswatch: Alfred Harvey, Founder of Harvey Comics, Dead at 80," The Comics Journal #170 (August 1994), p. 32.
- Obituary: "Founder of Harvey World Comics," Chicago Tribune (July 6, 1994).
- Hastings-on-Hudson, New York: Comical Grave of Alfred Harvey (Roadside America)